5.4 Upgrades

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DetroitDarin

Full Access Members
Reaction score
There's not much if any measurable gain from a bolt-on exhaust system or muffler. Gotts mod = no gains.

Do intake and cat-back with a Tune if you'd like gains you can feel. :)

And I'd bet dollars other than a True cold air intake (as opposed to some filter in the engine compartment at the end of a tube) won't show performance gains one can measure or notice.

OP
OP
XLTExpoGuy2010

XLTExpoGuy2010

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm not trying to get lots of power out of it, I'm really just wanting it to have a little more pep in its step and get a couple more mpgs out of it.

DetroitDarin

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Get a muffler if you'd like better sound. I had one installed for $130 yesterday; the truck finally sounds like a truck. But for performance? $500? for a good tuner will make more difference than either an intake or cat-back - and likely more than BOTH an intake and catback. Now, all three? yeah - for sure I bet you'd be able to measure pretty good gains.

OP
OP
XLTExpoGuy2010

XLTExpoGuy2010

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yeah its my wife's truck so cat back is out the window. Muffler I could get away with if it would stay mostly quiet. So looks like a tuner is what I'll be buying.

DetroitDarin

Full Access Members
Reaction score
catback won't be neccessarily louder than a muffler swap. Sure is more expensive though :)

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There's not much if any measurable gain from a bolt-on exhaust system or muffler. Gotts mod = no gains.

Do intake and cat-back with a Tune if you'd like gains you can feel. :)

And I'd bet dollars other than a True cold air intake (as opposed to some filter in the engine compartment at the end of a tube) won't show performance gains one can measure or notice.

im not after performance gains...hp increase...im after mpg increase and I noticed a difference in city and hwy mpg with each mod I've done

01yellerCobra

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Get a tuner. That's about the only way you'll get power and an increase in mpg. I had the Spectre intake, tune from 5 Star, and the Borla muffler. The tune gave me the most gains as far as power and MPG. The muffler made it sound good, but no gains. I recently took off the Spectre intake and went back to the stock and didn't notice any change. The muffler I have isn't that loud. You can hear it under acceleration, but it's quiet as stock on the freeway.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carloss0712