5.4L Triton timing set, replace oil pump?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
JExpedition07

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Took part the old oil pump, man this thing doesn’t deserve the bad rap it gets. Practically no wear in 160k miles. I’m going to go out on a limb and say the original pump is NOT the problem with this engine and that it’s the guides breaking apart clogging the pickup tube when people ignore the startup rattle, which then damages the pump over time as it starves for oil which results in a low pressure condition. My pump wore exceptionally well and supplied good pressure still, but my guides never broke. I think a lot of people are blaming this oil pump for something it can’t control. If you pinch off a hose it’s not the nozzles fault pressure isn’t coming out. My 2 cents.

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Took part the old oil pump, man this thing doesn’t deserve the bad rap it gets. Practically no wear in 160k miles. I’m going to go out on a limb and say the original pump is NOT the problem with this engine and that it’s the guides breaking apart clogging the pickup tube when people ignore the startup rattle, which then damages the pump over time as it starves for oil which results in a low pressure condition. My pump wore exceptionally well and supplied good pressure still, but my guides never broke. I think a lot of people are blaming this oil pump for something it can’t control. If you pinch off a hose it’s not the nozzles fault pressure isn’t coming out. My 2 cents.
I have been saying that all along. The cover flexes and it loses pressure they say. Are we in the Indy 500 spinning over 5k rpm all day? Who cares if it loses a little high rpm pressure and that's if it even really does. Melling swooped right in when they got a chance to capitalize. Notice how the pump is right there when you do a chain job, Melling would be real quiet if you had to drop the pan to change it.

Hulkster

Reaction score
I did the high pressure oil pump guides pan and tube. The tensioners are the problem and then the guides from constant slack. All the broken guides/plastic goes thru your system and the metal shavings from the chain slapping the motor cover. Point the oil pick up tube had metal shavings the oil pan horrible.

B2C9D3C4-AA20-40DC-AE65-14915841714F.jpeg

6D92BC36-9763-4C86-87D9-8179F8CA1C5B.jpeg

DF30B864-0BCE-45FF-914D-BFFF2C0AC68D.jpeg

Hulkster

Reaction score
How long did it go after the first sign of any problem?
Maybe 3 months before the oil pump clogged and guides were gone. Honestly those tensioners are the cause. The pump screen clogged is what deprives the oil. Metal shavings come from the engine front cover being slapped.

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Maybe 3 months before the oil pump clogged and guides were gone. Honestly those tensioners are the cause. The pump screen clogged is what deprives the oil. Metal shavings come from the engine front cover being slapped.
Not a better idea by Ford...……..:emotions34:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sharprd65