5.4L Triton timing set, replace oil pump?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
JExpedition07

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mr.Sticker was right, a bit to early to declare a total victory yet. Now today I have a misfire that goes away when warm, it misses slightly for about a minute when cold then goes away. Nothing severe, but I can feel it and see it in the tach. Googling this issue doesn’t put my mind at ease..... Most diagnosis for this issue on past threads are low cylinder compression due to warn rings or warn valve seals that expand when warm.....oh boy. I have one old spark plug I left in the engine because it was ssssoooo torqued down it wouldn’t budge that I’ll change out tomorrow......I think a COP and injector can be ruled out since they’d still misfire when hot. Mechanic recommends a compression check on all cylinders. I’ll update what I find over the next few days.

Last edited:

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Mr.Sticker was right, a bit to early to declare a total victory yet. Now today I have a misfire that goes away when warm, it misses slightly for about a minute when cold then goes away. Nothing severe, but I can feel it and see it in the tach. Googling this issue doesn’t put my mind at ease..... Most diagnosis for this issue on past threads are low cylinder compression due to warn rings or warn valve seals that expand when warm.....oh boy. I have one old spark plug I left in the engine because it was ssssoooo torqued down it wouldn’t budge that I’ll change out tomorrow......I think a COP and injector can be ruled out since they’d still misfire when hot. Mechanic recommends a compression check on all cylinders and it may be time to think about a reman or junk yard engine depending on findings. I’ll update what I find over the next few days.
Nah, probably that plug you didn't change.

OP
OP
JExpedition07

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No, just change it and go from there...……..

Yeah I’m thinking it’ll be that plug, I soaked that one in carb cleaner and after that didn’t work WD and it still wouldn’t come out so I’m sure the oily residue left on it is the problem. I’m going to use my DeWalt impact to see if that’ll break it loose without plug breakage. It wasn’t feeling promising on the ratchet. No issue on the other 7, I guess the silver lining is it’s the easier cylinder to access.

OP
OP
JExpedition07

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mode 6 live (the limited data BlueDriver is showing) is still showing evap issues

29B5031F-7F94-4E9D-96DB-65E36D896D1A.png

Last edited:

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yeah I’m thinking it’ll be that plug, I soaked that one in carb cleaner and after that didn’t work WD and it still wouldn’t come out so I’m sure the oily residue left on it is the problem. I’m going to use my DeWalt impact to see if that’ll break it loose without plug breakage. It wasn’t feeling promising on the ratchet. No issue on the other 7, I guess the silver lining is it’s the easier cylinder to access.
No penetrants are going to do anything because you didn't crack it open a bit (it's sealed). You might as well impact it since it has to come out.

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Mr.Sticker was right, a bit to early to declare a total victory yet. Now today I have a misfire that goes away when warm, it misses slightly for about a minute when cold then goes away. Nothing severe, but I can feel it and see it in the tach. Googling this issue doesn’t put my mind at ease..... Most diagnosis for this issue on past threads are low cylinder compression due to warn rings or warn valve seals that expand when warm.....oh boy. I have one old spark plug I left in the engine because it was ssssoooo torqued down it wouldn’t budge that I’ll change out tomorrow......I think a COP and injector can be ruled out since they’d still misfire when hot. Mechanic recommends a compression check on all cylinders. I’ll update what I find over the next few days.
It's not the compression because it would have to be so low to cause a misfire that you would be burning a gallon of oil every 6 months. Not valve stem seals or it would puff smoke every time you started it. Also the rings didn't suddenly wear out because it ran fine a month ago...……….none of that, you need to change that plug for starters.

OP
OP
JExpedition07

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As far as I can tell *so far* the misfire appears to be gone with the new plug. I replaced the last old plug and replaced all 8 plug boots this morning. 2 of the old boots were warped pretty bad from when I bought the truck and there were loose plugs in the head allowing blow-by which partially melted them. The plug I took out looks like it was running slightly lean though so I may still have a vacuum issue or evap system throwing off the mixture.

OP
OP
JExpedition07

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So far not a hiccup today, it’s the warmest we’ve been though this morning started out in the 50s and now it’s 70 degrees.