6.2 L in an Expy

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Otters07

Full Access Members
Reaction score
^^^haha...I'm curious to this. Could really pull off a raptor conversion expy with a 6.2

FordandPolaris

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Is the 6.2 a "big block"? Its my understanding that is a big motor, so I think it would be really tough given the current amount of space available with the 5.4 small block. But people can do some crazy things with some fabrication skills.

american steel

Full Access Members
Reaction score
How easy would this swap be?
shouldn't be that bad at all. the biggest problem you'll have is ECU tuning for the extra displacement
timing trigger wheels on the camshafts for 03 and up 3 valve motors and power steering might be a hassle.
I done a 98 swap very straight forward for me. the easy part about 2 valve motors were the single cam trigger wheel
I had a wheel made from a CNC machine along with a crank trigger retained all of the wiring and sensors. the 6.2l and 5.0 do not use coolant in the intakes so you will have to shut off the ECT sensor in the ECU.
here's another alternative which will be less money to spend than a 6.2l engine unless you some how get it really cheap.
get a big bore 5.4l block 3.700 piston they go right on the existing rods port the heads whether its 2 valve or 3 valve they all need it, you'll have to change the bottom of the intake for the extra displacement it needs to hold more air 4.6-5.0 and 5.4l-5.8l bigger TB stock injectors are fine no need to waste money on injectors, headers, you can also get a decent cam grind from comp-cams to retain peak torque just little higher lift. this is about 370hp/410tq engine with ease. the small bore will always restrict torque and power production on any ford engine besides the 6.2.
the 6.2l and 5.0 uses the factory 4.6 and 5.4 trans bolt patterns so thats a plus for any one.
its not a hard swap.

american steel

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Is the 6.2 a "big block"? Its my understanding that is a big motor, so I think it would be really tough given the current amount of space available with the 5.4 small block. But people can do some crazy things with some fabrication skills.

a 6.2l ith factory intake and those massive cam covers are narrower than a 5.4/5.8l 4 valve motor. there are several GT500 motors I seen swapped into gen 1 fords with room the navigator came with a 4 valve 5.4l there's plenty of room left after the 6.2 swap. the 6.2l block is small its not a big block.
not much wider than the 5.4 but alittle longer due to the extra bore spacing but very minimal. you can do more to a 6.2 than you can 5.4l even with 4 valve heads on it.