$650...seriously?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mmrseed

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Does that sound legit? $650 to replace the upper and lower ball joints on the front of a 2wd expy? gross

tonydiv

technical advisor
Reaction score
It looks like the lowers alone are $85 each.

Can't remember, do you have to change out the whole A-arm on the 2wds? If so, they're about $60 each.

How many hours of labor did they figure?

OP
OP
mmrseed

mmrseed

Full Access Members
Reaction score
see mine doesn't even include the alignment which they aren't charging me only because they just did the lower control arm 5 days ago and aligned it then and it isn't fair to charge me again for an alignment. I wish I was more mechanically adept and could fix these things myself but I put headers on my expy and that was the biggest pain in the butt and I just don't have the patience for this kind of stuff so....joy...I pay for it. This is the whole reason i want to sell my truck. It is REALLY getting expensive and frustrating lately

KWT2000

Full Access Members
Reaction score
my .02

its all part of owning a vehicle e erything will need work sooner or later... as for doing it your self you would need to get the ball joint service tool $40 but a 2wd would be easy compared to a 4wd think of the money you could save

JUST4FUN

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
i'd ask my self this, what kind of shop would do an alignment on a truck that needed balljoints. i have done them before, and t6hats part of the shake down. i would be looking for another shop.

KWT2000

Full Access Members
Reaction score
i'd ask my self this, what kind of shop would do an alignment on a truck that needed balljoints. i have done them before, and t6hats part of the shake down. i would be looking for another shop.

i agree... thats exactly why i dont let shops do work i can do my self

OP
OP
mmrseed

mmrseed

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I wish I could do the work myself. Taking the ball joints out and replacing them seems pretty straight forward, but messing with the brakes to get to them is something I have no experience in. Either way, I think I'm getting hosed because ball joints cost about $45 dollars each so i am paying $500 labor. 8 hours to swap out the ball joints AND supposedly they are not charging for the alignment because they should have caught it the first time?

Anyway, the drama continues because while the uppers are GM parts from the 88-98 1/2 tons (ewwww, there's a chevy part on my ford) NOBODY knows what ball joints fit the lower. Not Ford, not fabtech....I'm waiting on the place that installed the kit 4 years ago and 2000 miles away to try and figure out what they put on there.....hmmmm, I've always liked Land Rover Discovery suvs...I wonder how they are on repairs :) jk I would only swap this out for a Bronco

KWT2000

Full Access Members
Reaction score
the only way to learn is to do it... i dont know about fabtec but rough country and tuff country use factory ball joints and control arms with aftermarket spindles

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sharprd65