97 awd light flashing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

danwheeler660

Reaction score
my 1997 expedition Eddie Bauer was working great. I had been using my 4x4 for a few. I turned the switch from 4x4 back to 2 high and the awd light will flash and some time the truck Is in 2 wheel drive then if you shut it off and re start it. it is in 4x4 with out turning the switch. I had to take the drive shaft out of the front so I could drive the truck. Any ides would be great thanks..

BIG GREEN FORD

Full Access Members
Reaction score
4 wheel drive actuator, check your wire connection that goes to the transfercase it could be loss or corroded from water, stuck mud... Or your switch. The transfer case motor could be sticking also.

B

bedrck46

A4WD Indicator Flashes When the A4WD Mode Is Selected

Possible Source
A4WD clutch relay/circuit.
Hall effect speed sensors/circuits.
Transfer case electric clutch.
4WABS module/circuit.
GEM.

see if you can get any codes read and post them

OP
OP
danwheeler660

danwheeler660

Reaction score
ok I have fixed most of my problems Now my awd light will flash and stay flashing when I turn the knob to awd when in park If I put knob in 4x4 it lights right up I have the front drive shaft out I was going to put new u joints and put the shaft back in today I have a new shift knob coming in the mail Monday. Just trying to get everything good on my truck....

OP
OP
danwheeler660

danwheeler660

Reaction score
My other ? is when the truck is shifted in 2wd does the front output on the transfer case spin or should it be still I have my expedition on 4 jack stands and when we put the truck in drive the front output still spins

OP
OP
danwheeler660

danwheeler660

Reaction score
ok new u joints are I and the drive shaft is back in I have 2 high 4 high and 4 low but no awd the light just flashes no sounds in the dash or under truck I checked the brown wire and it is hooked up. I don't like the awd I just want to make sure I don't have problems down the road with the transfer case