97 expo won't shift into 4l or 4h

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jarnesen

Reaction score
Hey, I'm new here, and I need some info. I have a '97 Eddie Expo that had 4wheel engagement motor issues, so we swapped it out for a new one. Now, it'll go into AWD, but 4H and 4L are out of the question. Could this be a switch issue, or do I need to look deeper? Any info would be greatly appreciated. With winter coming on I would kinda like to have it, just in case. Thanks in advance...

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It could be a wiring issue. If the newer unit has had the shift motor changed then the wiring may have been changed.

Also could be a fuse issue.

How well can you read and understand electrcial prints?

Let me know I could send you diagrams a little later as I am away from my main computer.

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Also update your signature line as that will help tp provide advice specific to your year, model, and engine

Copper93

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had the same problem after I changed out my motor. I had to disconnect the battery for another issue and when I reconnected the battery it worked. Disconnect the battery for a few minutes and see if it works for you. My thinking is the computer needed to be reset.

OP
OP
J

jarnesen

Reaction score
I'll look into the fuse boxes, disconnect the battery, and let you all know what the outcome is. Thanks for all the great info.

Richard_Corbin

Reaction score
Well ive had the same problem after for getting to put my truck in neutral so it burnt the motor up. Replaced the 4x4 motor and now it works great. Use it all the time out mudding.