'97 missing CD changer / audio options?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

piano_71

Reaction score
I just bought a 1997 Eddie Bauer used (146K miles). It's missing the console-mounted CD changer, so now I'm left with the question: Do I swap out the OEM radio/cassette for an aftermarket unit, or find a compatible console-mount CD changer?

I've read that there are "adapter cables" to allow an aftermarket CD changer to be controlled by the OEM stereo, but a few minutes of Web searching didn't turn up what I was looking for.

Buying through a dealer is out of the question ... $200+ for a CD changer seems high when DVD head units with built-in LCD touch screen sell for $300-$500.

So is there a console CD changer that also has USB / iPod / AUX IN capability, or should I just scrap the OEM head unit? This Expedition has the back seat audio / headphone controls - can those be wired up to a head unit that supports steering wheel controls? (There are no audio controls on the wheel.)

99exbyut

Reaction score
I would just go out and buy a new head unit if your looking for a CD changer that has a USB/ iPod and AUX in. I know I've been looking around for a new one and I think I might just buy something like what is in my Honda. Cause it has a AUX in, and a USB port on the front and it works great.

That's my two cents.

gkelly

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I can sell you my cd changer its just been taking up room since I hooked up my tv

pavaojc

Reaction score
I just replaced my head unit (cassette only) with a nice rig I got from eBay. It's a refurb stock unit with CD and cassette, so my dash doesn't look hack. I did have to do an easy mod (internally, not visible) to get it to fit, but if I can do it, anyone can. The cool thing is that the guy who did the refurb also wired in an AUX input so I have an input for an MP3 player too with a totally stock looking unit in my 2000 XLT.

WP_000551.jpg

You can see the AUX input hanging out of the cigarette lighter compartment door. I decided not to drill a hole and try to mount it. This way it's hidden when not in use and the door is closed.

Last edited:

M1757

Reaction score
Piano are you talking about the six disc cartridge insert inside of the console? If so , when I purchased my 2001 Expy it was missing. I went onto Ebay, there are three or four options to get the correct one for your truck. You need to know if the eject button is square or oval then what color, grey or orange. i found the correct one for my truck for 17 bucks. Can't beat that.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
expresspedition