98 EB motor is gone. Wanting to do motor swap! Any suggestions. Looking to make more power.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dschallmo98expo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well I guess that sums it up! However I'm happy with the 373 gears on my expo. Good hunting.

grantpa

Full Access Members
Reaction score
hey drewactual-I've been contemplating, questioning and reasoning out WHY would Ford pair factory 32" tires, a 4.6L/281 ci engine, a heavy SUV AND 3.31 gears!?!?!?!? This makes NO sense to me and I really feel the pain!!! My Expy is a SLUG!!! The mileage is terrible-13.8 city-and that's driving miss daisy-style!!! I'm strongly considering a swap to 3.73's. Would you recommend this, or should I step down to 4.10's? The Expy is my 2nd vehicle-occasional tower, people mover, gear hauler and road trip car.

dschallmo98expo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ok. Here is what I did. 98 expo with a 99-01 5.4L new motor. This motor has 270hp rather than the 215hp from the stock motor.

Then I put in the 373's rearend in and the truck came to life.

Gas mileage did improve to 18-22 mpg' s depending on how it's driven.

But it has its issues as well. Tunning the computer. You will need to get it tunned. It's a must.

dschallmo98expo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Basically the 98 motor was completely under powered for that heavy of a vehicle.

drewactual

Full Access Members
Reaction score
hey drewactual-I've been contemplating, questioning and reasoning out WHY would Ford pair factory 32" tires, a 4.6L/281 ci engine, a heavy SUV AND 3.31 gears!?!?!?!? This makes NO sense to me and I really feel the pain!!! My Expy is a SLUG!!! The mileage is terrible-13.8 city-and that's driving miss daisy-style!!! I'm strongly considering a swap to 3.73's. Would you recommend this, or should I step down to 4.10's? The Expy is my 2nd vehicle-occasional tower, people mover, gear hauler and road trip car.

man, you'll love the 4.10's. the responsiveness will make you think you're driving a new rig. some will argue it will cost you in economy, but i will argue to the contrary.... only in theory and math does it work out that way. in practice your engine will achieve and hold rpm range/speed easier and not lug (bury your vacuum signal)...

the 6.4PSD years of superduty (08-10) in the 350 and 450 DRW had option for 4.3:1 ratio... and that is what I'd love to have for this eXp and the 4r100 transmission... it's the perfect combo of grunt via leverage and sensible rpm @ 70+ mph highway cruising. unfortunately, i don't think they're available in this housing... so... 4.1's it'll likely be for me too.... skipping out on 4.56's only because i spend a lot of time on the highway in the flat lands.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
r98exp1