98 expedition lift

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
I want to lift my 98 Expy XLT and put 38 inch tires under it. I found a lot of 6 inch kits, but I was told that I need more than that to put 38s underneath it. Do I have to stack kits? Put a 2.5in leveling kit on the front and rear? OR can I just crank the torsion screws?

My second question is with this set up do I have to get a new drive shaft? or can I use stock drive shaft and steering?

Thanks

tonydiv

technical advisor
Reaction score
A 6 inch suspension kit and a 3 inch body lift will give you clearance for 38s.
Adding spacers and all those other tricks changes your geometry and can compromise your handling. A good kit like Fabtech for example, maintains all the correct suspension geometry.

I have a couple inches less on my suspension lift and I can run 37s with no problem.

What gears are you going to go with?

OP
OP
M
Reaction score
Right now im running the stock rear end but IM trying to find something stronger. IM not quite sure what to go with since this is my first time lifting a vehicle. So right now its the stock gearing for the 4.6.
I was planning on using a fabtech kit. Im not a big fan of the body lift because of the ugly space that it creates. But if thats what it comes down to Im gonna do it.

Would a Dana 44 or a dana 60 work for the rear end?

Remo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I don't have first hand experience, but I've done plenty of reading about it...
Here's what I can tell you:

Like tonydiv said, a 4-6" suspension lift + a 3" body lift will work for you.
For suspension lifts look at Rancho (4"), RCD (5"), Trailmaster (5"), and Fabtech (6").
For body lifts, Performance Accessories brand is always recommended.
Also, you can get a gap guard kit (from PA) to cover up the 'ugly space' and give it a factory appearance.
For gears, you can keep the factory differentials, but just regear with a different ratio.
I'm thinking 4.56, but I'm not positive...
Hope that helps.

tonydiv

technical advisor
Reaction score
Yea, I'd go with a high (numerically) gear like 4.56, especially with the 4.6l motor. You're going to need all the mechanical advantage you can get to roll 38s.

The stock rear end is a solid unit, way stronger than a D44. Unless you're doing any hardcore wheeling the front 8.8" will probably be ok too. Usually when guys start to approach that 38" tire range, is when they start thinking about a solid front axle swap. But that certainly isn't something for the first timer to consider.

This is something that I'd LOVE to do.
http://www.dixonbrosracing.com/content/blogcategory/2/3/

JCMatthews

Reaction score
The 8" on Rocky Mountain Suspensions is for an '03-'06. Does anyone make an air bag spacer? I'd love to do a one or two inch spacer and maybe a torsion bar twist on my '01. If I did that would the front still raise in 4 LO?

nvycrmn

Full Access Members
Reaction score
if you go the same route as walnuts, then you would be able to clear 38's. he has a total of 11 inches. 6" susp, 3" body, and 2" spacers. as far as it going up in 4L, not sure cuz if i recall, you would have to replace the airbags with coils.