98 XLT Rearview mirror compass/thermometer doesn't work

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

shadow460

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The guys at a local auto glass place were kind enough to glue my rearview mirror back on the windshield for me even after closing time. The onl thing left noe is to find out why there seems to be no power to the compass and thermometer part of it. It also has no ability to dim itself either.

I tried several months ago to figure it out and couldn't find any blown fuses in either fuse block. I also can't find which fuse would power the mirror either.

Which wires on the mirror's plug provide power? It's a 7 wire plug with only 5 wires used. Which fuse powers the thing?

Thanks in advance!

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Looked this up in the manual and learned something new today.
The electronic mirror has two power feeds, one is through the DTR sensor (Digital Transmission Range), protected by fuse 5 in the central junction box. The other feed is direct from the cjb - fuse 23.

Wires colors:
Pin 5 Bk/PK power in reverse
Pin 6 BK Ground
Pin 7 WH/LB Power in Acc or Run

Both fuses are hot in run.

Wint

Reaction score
There are some components on the board that have the solder break, I fixed mine by pulling the board off and resoldering, I'll have to see if I can find the guide I used and I'll post it for you.

OP
OP
S

shadow460

Full Access Members
Reaction score
How does one get the mirror apart to access the board? I didn't see anything really holding it together.