99 expy intermitent no start when hot

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rampcrawler

Reaction score
have 99 expy i bought it new, have had regular ford mech work at dealer. Friend a dealer moved now on my own with issues. Ill get in with a cold engine and it starts right up. Short trip to store or when I go from store to store, I come out to start and engin just turn over. I let it sit for 2 or 3 min. and it starts. Had a check engine light turned out to be EGR celinoid replaced it light out. Changed the fuel filter was like mud in there. expy ran good for about a month no issues of not starting. Then yestreday second store I stoped at and a no start, waited 2 or 3 min. and she started right up. sorry for the length but my wife is driving crazy THANKSahead of time

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
An easy way to eliminate flooding as a potential issue is to hold the throttle wide as you crank the next time it occurs. This puts the pcm into clear flood strategy and will not inject fuel until you let off the throttle.

OP
OP
R

rampcrawler

Reaction score
So you think its just flooding, could be it happens to the wife and kids most of the time. Anything eles it can be, I looked at the starter celinoid the little wire's nut was snug but not tight enough to keep the wire from moving slightly. Not sure if the crank sensor can be intermitent or do they just go bad. MY CONCERN is telling my wife she is just flooding the DAM thing that will go over like a ton of bricks on my head. lol

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
So you think its just flooding, could be it happens to the wife and kids most of the time. Anything eles it can be, I looked at the starter celinoid the little wire's nut was snug but not tight enough to keep the wire from moving slightly. Not sure if the crank sensor can be intermitent or do they just go bad. MY CONCERN is telling my wife she is just flooding the DAM thing that will go over like a ton of bricks on my head. lol

No. Flooding is not a common cause but just easy to eliminate as such. I have had similar symptoms and flooding but it was due to inaccurate initial tune (custom)

Starter solenoid issues or wiring would keep it from cranking period.

My first guess would be fuel issues but not necessarily flooding. Though if you let it sit fuel tends to evaporate thus why I mentioned it.

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
I would check the throttle body and IAC (idle air control) valve and clean them if necessary. It may not be getting enough minimum air flow due to buildup and this should not cost you anything other than for throttle body cleaner and some time.

Also check for vacuum leaks. The rear elbow on the intake leading to the pcv valve is a common trouble spot.

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

rampcrawler

Reaction score
As for the back tube on the intake I bought the 40 dollar part at ford, has new pvc and all new vac lines. Spent more than an hour tring to piece the hoses togethr with spare tube. when I got to the rear tube and found it was about 1 inch around i knew it was time to get the part at ford. Have not cleaned the throttle body in about 3 months but used a can of sea foam on it. Ill clean it again and burn some injector cleaner in it. Please more suggestion Ill try them all.

Last edited:

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'd get some basic info on what the engine is doing/not doing. First I'd look at the fuel pressure since it ran better after the filter change. Both cold and hot.
Is the fuel pump original and what is your mileage?

OP
OP
R

rampcrawler

Reaction score
Had an old guy retired from Ford look into the fuel presure. He attached his fuel pressure kit on and drove it for 30 min. after the filter change and the original pump passed the test. Truck has just over 180K I'm going to clean the butterfly and the rest on Thursday or Friday. Could be that the injectors are a mess so Ill try an old trick I leaned from an old friend. love to share it but most people think its crazy!!!

OP
OP
R

rampcrawler

Reaction score
With a Half a tank of gas maybe less with the big tank, add one gallon of pure lacker thinner to the gas. Get in drive the truck 150 miles or so, this cleans out everything from the jets to the cat converter. I have done it 2x over the years in my 90 Accord and it runs great with 381K