99 xlt 5.4L Crank but no start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Amealey84

Reaction score
Driving down the road my truck died. Didn't sputter at all just died. It will crank over but not start, fuel pump primes but I get no fuel pressure at the rail, just a tiny "psssh" for a half a second but no fuel comes out at all. I checked all the fuses and relays and none were blown or melted. I did notice the connector plug was melted for the passenger-side (black wire sheath) second O2 sensor. Cut it out and hard wired in. Will this be ok?

It will start with starting fluid but dies after. So it is getting spark. This is driving me crazy!! Please help.... the part making this so difficult is having no multi meter to test loads. Could it be not enough power to fuel pump? Noticed the harness that runs underneath had gotten close to catalytic converter and melted the plastic sheeting a little but all wires in tact.

When ignition is on, I went under and noticed a high pitch "humming/ringing" noise coming from seems like the flywheel area? Which is close to the harness I mentioned but I'm 70% it's coming from the flywheel/tranny area'ish.

Things I've done
1.checked fuses/relays
2.checked fuel reset button
3.Confirmed fuel pump primes
4.Confirmed spark with s/fluid
5.Changed fuel filter
6.Check for vacuum leak. Nothing I could find.

I've done everything I can think off besides changing the fuel pump.

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sounds like the fuel pump went.
How many miles on the expy?
have you checked or changed the fuel filter. Sorry see that you did change it
Since you are getting no pressure at the rail I would at least try to disconnect the fuel line input to the fuel filter to see if the pump is working.

Or you could try and take a rubber mallet and have someone try starting the expy while you bang on the fuel tank It just may be enough to start it and if it does then plan on a new fuel pump.

The tell tale sign is you saying it will fire up with starting fluid

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Also when checking fuses use a meter and check for voltage in and out of the fuse Looking at them can be deceiving

OP
OP
A

Amealey84

Reaction score
When I turn the ignition to the on positiob, it can be heard for the roughly two seconds that is expected. BUT!!! Just had a friend over, who drives a F150 with the 5.4L and we took a listen to his at the initial "prime" and it's a night and day difference.... the best way to describe it - mine was a more mechanical type noise. Almost like the motors for the air ride tanks. (Mine has no air ride).
And his was a more pneumatic/smooth sound and could even hear the gas/liquid moving.

So, like you pointed out. It's seeming like the fuel pump. Could of been rolling 5 days ago!! "Kicks self in ass"
Looks like I'll be dropping the tank tomorrow. At least my undercarriage is a good 3 feet up. Sure makes it nice when you can sit up or be on knees while wrenching.

Will update!!