A/c hoses leaking on high side

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

IMINYOURCHAIR

Full Access Members
Reaction score
simple problem. I put in the used hoses and compressor in on 4-18-14 as per my maintenance records. i neglected to get pressure readings because it was actually too cool to charge by pressure, so, I charged by weight and ended up maybe 3oz overcharge. no biggie. it worked for the summer of '14 and part of this summer but I noticed higher vent temp, started at 42f last year and now it's only getting down to the high 40's to low 50's.

anyhow, I have a leak on pretty much any hose clamp that exists after the compressor on the high side up to the condenser. I pressure washed these hoses to clean off any old oil and now they are starting to get oily. when I charged the system I added one can that had some uv dye additive and I am getting some areas lighting up under a uv light as a result. none of my bolt on connections are leaking at all much to my surprise even though I re used old seals. I added 12 oz yesterday to get the low side up to 48psi idle and the high to about 225 to 250 depending on how fast the fan ran. I do need to re charge from scratch since I believe I may have introduced air into it when I charged it initially (forgot to bleed all the hoses but I did hit 29 in of mercury vacuum, I'm a rookie)

tldr; leaky hoses on high side past compressor, plan to replace the drier and orifice tube since the system is able to cool but may also replace compressor since it has about 350k miles total on it.

OP
OP
I

IMINYOURCHAIR

Full Access Members
Reaction score
rock auto has an ac kit for $181 that includes: compressor, orifice tube, expansion valve(rear), and drier. four seasons also has the manifold hoses for $102 and I can get the condenser for $67, $378 total shipped I will order after new years when I get taxes in and install next April or may. I want to have the system evacuated totally and get most/all oil out and start dry so I can get it right.