A/C not performing well in hot weather after all new parts and recharge

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
A

AGrayson84

Reaction score
The initial reads aren't a bit off, they are way out of the ballpark.

Think about this, if you lay a garden hose straight out on the ground with both ends open, would the flush clean the entire surface of the hose or just the bottom portion of the hose?
Only if you blew a large amount of flush under high pressure. You would have to pump a volume larger than the interior of the hose could handle. So is there any contamination still in your system? Probably, especially if a sealer was added in the past.

You have a restriction on the high side - plain and simple. Now what is causing it and where? Anything between the txv and compressor can. Before tearing into the system it is easy to check to see if it is charge related.

The pressure should come down immediately after cutting off the ac, as long as the high side isn't at a dangerous level you can turn it back on.

You should see immediate results with increased airflow through the condenser.

Definitely understand your analogy with the garden hose. The liquid line is about 1/4" or so I.D., and the suction line is less than 3/8" for the lines that run to the rear. Believe it or not, but the entire volume of the outlet of each line was full of flush solvent each time we blasted some through. And nothing more than dry air was making its way out either end of either line after the first and second flush per line. They were blowing as dry as can be. I can't say with 100% certainty that the system had no residual oil in the lines, nor can I say there isn't a big glob of glue sitting in one of those two lines, but they definitely seemed to blow through just fine last year and again last month when I blew them clean. If I wasn't paranoid it would get stuck in a bend, I would find some sort of metal ball a little smaller than each line and try to blow it through.... but that seems to risky. Short of also replacing those two lines, I'm not having a whole lot of possibilities left on the table as to where the restriction may be, if we are 100% certain there is one.

The last TXV's I removed (I still have one of them, untouched since I removed it.... maybe I can take a picture) were clean as a whistle. Just had some PAG oil coating them internally. They were on for a few months. Even the original TXV's were completely clean when I removed them. No sign of debris or anything. Trying to encourage myself this can be fixed without a lot more effort, but selling this thing after dumping $6-7k into various things on it since April of last year, and the current resale value, as very clean as the truck is, is about the only thing holding me back from letting go of it right now lol.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Back to the garden hose analogy - what happens to the hardness of the hose when you first open the sprayer nozzle? Mine softens slightly from the pressure reduction. Your video shows something similar after the compressor cycles a few times from the excessive high side pressure. The high and low side drop. Whatever was restricting flow isn't any longer.

One way to locate a blockage is with temperature readings. The receiver/drier is usually hotter than the condenser when the system is running. If you can get the grill out of the way you can also read various points on the condenser.

Last edited: