A/C Question

Use only one zone or both

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Joseph Tator

Reaction score
I’m assuming all expedition have dual zone (front/back) climate controls and I’m wondering if your driving solo is it more taxing on motor and Fuel economy to have both zones cranking AC to get up to temperature faster and hold that temp or is it better to just use the front if I’m the only one in the car. My concern is that having the front only on will force the front condenser to work harder to cool the entire truck thus using more gas and becoming more of a burden on the motor. This may or may not be a dumb question so forgive me but curiousity has gotten the better of me. I would test out this theory myself but my mileage screen has stopped working steady so very rarely do I get to see my actual mileage

Dewayne

Reaction score
I had 2 99 expeditions 1 with front and rear air 1 with only front, they both had the same great fuel mileage but the duel system would heat and cool lots faster.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Depends on what type of compressor is on the Expy. If it is using a constant displacement type it will take x amount of hp to run it. If it is variable displacement and cycles the hp may be different.

In the dual system you have one condenser in front of the radiator and two evaporators in the cabin.
They don't work "harder" if the rear isn't running. It would just take longer to cool the entire vehicle.

The best way to increase your mileage is to turn the system off.

docraymund

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just use both evaporators on startup and when the temp suits your liking turn off the rear.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
r98exp1