A couple of rear axle questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chromehorseii

Reaction score
So, i have swapped in the 9 3/4 rear into my truck but now i have blown an axle seal.

Question 1) Does the axle have a vent? Where is it? (i had a quick peek but couldn't see it.) Is it part of the ABS sensor?

Question 2) I have read that the axles are sealed. So how do we refill it after a repair? I haven't seen a plug.

thanks

kidphc

Reaction score
Vent line for rear axle on my 98 is on driver side, by the spring. Hose runs into the frame.

Last edited:

kidphc

Reaction score
Small axle leak from both seals, verified after a wheel pull. The color difference on the axle, is due to some under coating that we sprayed after getting off surface rust. It's temporary till I can get the rust grinding wheel from my dad's lake house.

I did a conversion on the air springs. The previous owner just cranked the torsion rods up front. Didn't find this out till later. He did it because the passenger front air shock wasn't even connected to the frame. It was missing the upper bushings and the shock was shot anyways. It actually sat higher with the air springs all the way around.

The laundry list of repairs is long. But eh, got her for $1100 with 212k on the odometer. The axle seals are on the long list to repair.

Sorry for multiple edits auto correct sux.

Last edited:

kidphc

Reaction score
Lol, just realized most of the discoloring around the trailing arm and axle is from wd40 to break bolts loose. You can't see the axle seal leaks in the picture.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk