a few issues with my Expy

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mrpersuasive313

Reaction score
OK I have a few issues with my 1998 5.4 v8 Triton,

1. It's misfiring
2. It shudders only when I accelerate, never in idle
3. My heat blows terrific in the sections but off and on faintly in front section
4. I have a ABS light on with a left lean bank . I think it was PO10171
5. My 6 disc CDs changer is malfunctioning, when the car is off, you can hear it trying to work but no ejection or movement.

It's has just over 167,500 miles

If any of these I can fix on my own please let me know, any and all advice is gravely appreciated seeing this is my # 1 family vehicle, I hope I posted in the right section.

BigJuicy02

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Misfiring, Shuddering and left bank lean will most likely all be one issue. If you have a coil going out it can run fine at idle but as soon as you put a load on it (accelerating) it starts failing. You should have a check engine light on, ABS light will not come on for misfire codes. Have it scanned and it should tell you which cylinder is misfiring.

Once you know which cylinder it is, replace the coil and plug. 9 times out of 10, that solves it.

ABS light is a different animal, could just be a bad sensor but you need to get it scanned to get the actual ABS code.

CD Changer I can't really offer any advice. As far as I know, you cannot repair those. Someone else on the forum might know of a way. I would either replace it or upgrade the sound system, which can be a pain with the Mach Audio. I know because I have the same one.

Hope you can solve this issues quickly and cheaply. Keep us updated.

BANGEREXPO76

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I agree. Change your spark plugs and coils. I recommend doing them all at once get it over and done with especially if you havent done them in a while or at all since owning it. ABS light could be the sensor. It could also be your wheel hub bearing assembly which is what the sensor reads that is going bad. Good luck finding the issue.

Banger

OP
OP
M

mrpersuasive313

Reaction score
I am taking it in, in the morning, to have it checked and dealt with, I will change the coils myself as well as my sensor (rear)

Another issue I forgot to mention is my exhaust sounds rough

1koerner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
define exhaust sounds rough as for the rest i agree with everyone else on changing the coils fuel filter ect and trash the changer if you need the parts to swap in a aftermarket headunit hmu i have everything u will need (no charge) good luck and keep us posted

MUSKYMAN52

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Is it like a running cold rough exhaust? cuz when its 6 degrees mine roars till it warms up cuz of the high revs but still kind of rough

BANGEREXPO76

Full Access Members
Reaction score
For your exhaust issue.
Check your exhaust manifold gaskets as well as the header bolts to see if they are loose.

OP
OP
M

mrpersuasive313

Reaction score
The exhaust is almost like it's shaking when I accelerate, it's a loud rattle sound n there white pure white smoke coming from it!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Goff69