A good double din Stereo

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tmajikman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I don't watch a lot of DVD's at all so I am not sure if that is a must have type of item for me or not, what are their benefits in a vehicle? I do want a touchscreen, I have a GPS and see that the units with GPS are rather expensive, I have been out of the audio seen for a good bit.

Any recommendations on specific models and features and some good places that have good pricing?

Maybe a tutorial for me on some of the features to look into?

ExpyPlowGuy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you're looking for a double din touch screen most of them all have DVD players built in nowadays. I have a DVD player in my car and honestly it never gets used, but if I had kids it would be beneficial. Also keep in mind that most shops will install the parking signal which disables the DVD while the car is not in park, but if you do it yourself it's just one wire.

As far as features, there's a lot out there. Do you want to be able to connect satellite radio at some point, an HD radio tuner or GPS module? Do you want to connect an ipod or iphone? Newer models have ipod controls built into the head units now. Do you want bluetooth so you can connect your phone or iphone to the headunit to make and recieve hands free calls or stream your music through bluetooth?

Some units also have SD card slots and USB inputs.

There are a lot of choices out there but depending on what features you want the price can change significantly. I usually look around crutchfield to see what's out there that I'd be interested in and then search around for better prices. Sometimes my local Best Buy actually has better prices if they're running a sale.

I know it's a little info but just some things to think about to give the guys here some info to help find what you are looking for.

OP
OP
T

tmajikman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you're looking for a double din touch screen most of them all have DVD players built in nowadays. I have a DVD player in my car and honestly it never gets used, but if I had kids it would be beneficial. Also keep in mind that most shops will install the parking signal which disables the DVD while the car is not in park, but if you do it yourself it's just one wire.

As far as features, there's a lot out there. Do you want to be able to connect satellite radio at some point, an HD radio tuner or GPS module? Do you want to connect an ipod or iphone? Newer models have ipod controls built into the head units now. Do you want bluetooth so you can connect your phone or iphone to the headunit to make and recieve hands free calls or stream your music through bluetooth?

Some units also have SD card slots and USB inputs.

There are a lot of choices out there but depending on what features you want the price can change significantly. I usually look around crutchfield to see what's out there that I'd be interested in and then search around for better prices. Sometimes my local Best Buy actually has better prices if they're running a sale.

I know it's a little info but just some things to think about to give the guys here some info to help find what you are looking for.

Thank you for all the info sir, I will look into several options you wrote about.

JTKustoms

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I recently upgraded from my 7" flip up to a double din, the only problem i ran into was that it required a decent amount of trimming to make it fit and that the "double din" install kit i got for it from metra was much smaller than the actual headunit. I ended up installing it with no install kit and i love it, it connects wirelessly to my phone and i can actually make phone calls using just the screen. this is the one i got

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_113DDX418/Kenwood-DDX418.html?tp=20220&nvpair=FFBrand|Kenwood

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i woudl advise DUAL...you can find a very inexpensive DD din with DVD with/without NAV...so anywhere from $400 - $800...they're on crutchfield.com...then search on ebay or other site for cheaper