A little more HP and torque for my 4.6l?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fbcregan

Reaction score
Background: Just under two years ago I bought a 97 Eddie Bauer Expy with the 4.6l engine. It was in near mint condition with only 65k miles and it's been a great truck. Two weeks after buying it, it was hailed on and totaled, and still has its little dents all over the hood and top, so it's worth more to me with just 87k miles and an immaculate interior than it is to sell or trade. A week ago, we bought a 27' travel trailer and I'd like to get a little more oomph out of my truck. It has the HD tow package and I have a WD hitch for the camper, and it's not over the weight limit, but it's pretty maxed out. So far, it has done okay at about 60mph but I wondered if I could squeeze a little more power out of the engine to make it a little easier. (I'm not looking to go 80, just get up hills a little easier.)

Let me head off the typical answers. No, I can't sell it to get one with a 5.4l. Just isn't going to happen. I also can't figure I'm swapping engines. So what are some other ways I could get just a bit more power from it? Thanks for the help.

jjbusa

Full Access Members
Reaction score
intake, exhaust and programmer. also upgrade the spark plugs to nickle. also can do an electric fan. aside from a super charger that's all i can think of you can squeeze out. ive dine all of the above to my 04 except the fans and she feels nice but then again im on 24" wheels. oh maybe some underdrive pullys may work

BIG GREEN FORD

Full Access Members
Reaction score
On the door it will say axle code let me know the #/letter it says.
H6 h8 17 18 w.e it says let me know

Last edited:

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
H9 — 3.55 Limited slip

you would do a little better towing with a H6 — 3.73 Limited slip. but that may give you a little less MPG

Last edited: