A little stutter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Slick773

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I get a little stutter when I accelerate all the way. When Im trying to pass someone I step on the gas and it feels like tires are slipping, so I push traction button and I get the icon in cluster and it still does it but not as much. Is this normal it's my first expedition 07 EB please help!!! Thanks

RI-Matt

Full Access Members
Reaction score
How many miles are on it ?
Is this something that just started happening ?

Sounds like a coil going out. Have the plugs been changed ?

Matt

Stoned06

Full Access Members
Reaction score
When it stutters, does the CEL flash on the dash? It sounds like mine when I had a miss and needed a new plug/coil. I would get the codes read and see if you have a P030X code that will tell you where the miss is (the X will be the cylinder #). If it's not a miss in the engine, the second thing to look at is the tranny, and that won't be an easy or cheap fix.

OP
OP
Slick773

Slick773

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It's got 126,000 miles on it. I don't believe it's the tranny cause it shifts great other than that. No lights come on when I accelerate no warning lights. I bought the truck used so not sure if owner changed plugs. So I'm going to change spark plugs, plug wires, already had all fluids flushed and replaced... I'm I missing anything?

01yellerCobra

Full Access Members
Reaction score
These engines don't have spark plugs. It has a coil pack on each plug. Hence Coil On Plug or COP. You can get new boots for the COPS though. I'd throw a new fuel filter on there too.

OP
OP
Slick773

Slick773

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So if I go to autozone what do I ask for? I would hate to look like a DUmb A__. Thanks

Dib52

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Motorcraft SP-515 are the plugs. Figuring out if you have a coil going bad without a CEL can be a pain. Might have to have someone/dealer do a power balance data logging through the OBDII port. Only reason I know, had same issue. Know the stutter of which you speak. My power balance revealed 2 coils going bad and I never had the check engine light show up. Drive me nuts for some time until we figured it out. Two fresh coils, no more stutter.
FYI...if you do the plugs, make sure you invest in the lisle tool for broken spark plugs. Your 07 has the ******** 3 piece spark plug design that likes to break off. With out the removal tool, bottom half of the plug gets stuck in the head. Do a quick search on 'broken spark plug' and you can read about success and failure.

Last edited:

RI-Matt

Full Access Members
Reaction score
These engines don't have spark plugs. It has a coil pack on each plug. Hence Coil On Plug or COP. You can get new boots for the COPS though. I'd throw a new fuel filter on there too.

You meant to say "they dont have spark plug wires" right ??? :Big Laugh:

Matt

OP
OP
Slick773

Slick773

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a friend that works at a ford dealer in the service dept, I'll ask him to check my coils... And might as well change plugs!!

OP
OP
Slick773

Slick773

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Is there any upgradable parts? Like better coils or better fuel filter? Any suggestions