A year that DOESN'T have massive transmission issues?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

amwoods1212

Reaction score
Has anyone had an easy transmission fix? Recently bought our used 2019 Expedition Max, and the wrench light came on after some slow acceleration and shifting on a large bridge. Dealer has to keep it for 5-6 days just to diagnose! I am 400 miles outside factory warranty but have an extended warranty.

Last edited:

Hellwig

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Has anyone had an easy transmission fix? Recently bought our used 2019 Expedition Max, and the wrench light came on after some slow acceleration and shifting on a large bridge. Dealer has to keep it for 5-6 days just to diagnose! I am 400 miles outside factory warranty but have an extended warran
Most likely the CDF drum needs to be replaced and it won't be easy. But like you said, you have extended warranty, so why worry?

Hellwig

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Fwiw, I've been towing a 5000 lb trailer about 5000 or 6000 miles in mostly very hot weather in Mexico since Jan 4th with my 2019 Stealth that has HD tow, trans temps are consistently cool, and it's been mostly flawless... I have about 70,000 miles total now... A few odd shifts when abruptly accelerating up hills ito pass at highway speeds in tow/haul mode, but nothing too scary.
Would you please let me know what the "consistently cool" temperature was? I need to tow 4300 lbs in summer time.

C Trost

Reaction score
We bought a 2019 Max with max tow package in December. We were aware that the transmission had been replaced when the original owner traded it in and clearly should have been more concerned about that. We tried pulling our 3k lb trailer last weekend and the transmission was getting too hot. Service center could replicate the issue (not trailer attached when they had it) and they said it must have been overfilled when it was replaced but should be fine now (but they didn't do anything to it because level was normal when they tested it). This weekend we took test run down the highway with the trailer. It took a whopping 15 minutes to get transmission temp to 244 degrees and the coolant temp to 230. A different dealership it taking it in to check it later this week but from what I'm reading this is a common issue. Lovely. Is there a more current year that they have fixed this in? I'll give them a chance to fix it but I'm not keeping it if I'm going to constantly fight the transmission...but I LOOOVE my expy!!
Sorry to hear that. Something is definitely wrong. Tow my 8500# with my ‘20 XLT HD tow last 500 tow, trans temp 212, coolant didn’t check as gauge no different than without the trailer.

Pawpaw

Full Access Members
Reaction score
No problems with my '21 FX4 with max towing. Pull a 8K pound camper about once a month and other then that I mostly baby it around town. Shifts smooth as butter with the 3.73 gearing.

OP
OP
T

TravisExpy

Reaction score
Valve body sleeve was replaced and transmission rebuilt. I finally got to pick it up this morning. Fingers crossed it’s truly fixed this time!!