ABS and TC lights on.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
JExpedition07

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just jacked it up passenger side rear has WAY too much play for comfort. My questsion is at this point should I replace both rears? Holy cow the axle nut is RUSTY.

Big Brian

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just jacked it up passenger side rear has WAY too much play for comfort. My questsion is at this point should I replace both rears? Holy cow the axle nut is RUSTY.

You could I did not I am waiting until it goes

If you dont have an acetylene torch take it to someone who does because you will never get it apart without one. An air hammer helps too

the axle nut is the easy part

I also bought a Timken hub with the abs sensor already on it if you need it its another $80 might as well get the whole ball of wax

OP
OP
JExpedition07

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You could I did not I am waiting until it goes

If you dont have an acetylene torch take it to someone who does because you will never get it apart without one. An air hammer helps too

the axle nut is the easy part

I also bought a Timken hub with the abs sensor already on it if you need it its another $80 might as well get the whole ball of wax

My dad does HVAC and refrigeration and has acetylene and oxygen/acetylene torches, I'll probably bring it over to my parents house and have my dad help with the fun. He likes keeping busy anyway lol.

Genuine Ford Parts replacements are $172/ piece on rock auto I think I'll order two, Napa wanted. $200 for aftermarket.

Big Brian

Full Access Members
Reaction score
ok thats good with the torch it will be pretty easy. You will need it for the 4 bolts that hold the hub onto the knuckle. Heat the hub where the bolts screw in until cherry red, then they will come right out A air hammer is good to get the hub off the knuckle, mine was so rusted on that it would not budge, I had to take the parking brake off so I was able to access the hub to heat it for the bolts, and then I hit it with the air hammer on the side, then it popped right off

I tried a big slide hammer on it and it laughed at it

Once you take the parking brake shoes off its a lot easier to deal with , I tried with leaving them on but ended up taking them off and the whole job was a lot easier

I found the best deal on the hub on Amazon, it was about $160 free shipping no tax that was for the Timken hub with the sensor

OP
OP
JExpedition07

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ordered the Ford one for the passenger side, only going to do the one.

IMG_0523.PNG

bobmbx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It was the "frequently reported fix" for the code which was to replace the wheel bearing.

Skip to 4:10 these same lights I had too, he uses a blue driver that actually tells him it's the wheel bearing. Same situation.

Oof. Thats misleading. Its not telling you that the bearing is bad. Its telling you the ABS sensor is bad, and the fix is to replace the hub assembly. Thats because its a sealed unit and it contains both the bearing and the sensor.

OP
OP
JExpedition07

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oof. Thats misleading. Its not telling you that the bearing is bad. Its telling you the ABS sensor is bad, and the fix is to replace the hub assembly. Thats because its a sealed unit and it contains both the bearing and the sensor.

I don't think it's really misleading. The wheel bearing has a lot of play and clunks back and forth when I jacked the truck up and pull on the wheel. I've heard a very slight noise from the rear that aggravates when turning for a few weeks now. From what I gather when the bearing goes bad and shakes the sensor faults and sends a code on through?

Last edited:
OP
OP
JExpedition07

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Instead of continuing to throw money at this thing you should go buy that new GM you been talking about :)

Hehe I can't afford a brand new one, maybe a 2015-16. Remember talk is cheap ;). I throw money at em till there down for the count, (Motor or tranny). Probably will be the next venture though, by then it may be a 2018 model year or whatever is lightly used then.