ABS light on randomly

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tcwaltz

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So for the past 2 or 3 days I've randomly had the ABS light come on the dash. Braking seems to be normal and the next start it may not turn on. I have had the car hesitate to go a few times, mostly from a very low roll or stop, then kick right in and move. I have set no codes related to the ABS even though the light is on which I found odd. After a little reading on the internet I have determined that it could be the sensor in the top of the rear axle that is the culprit. However, I don't want to start throwing parts at it, even though that particular one is cheap.

Has anyone experienced this? The other thing i thought could be an issue with the hesitation is the VSS in the transmission. Again, vehicle is at 249K and based on other maintenance by teh PO I must assume these are all original parts. Anyone with previous experience on this I'd appreciate the feedback.

Thanks in advance.

reece146

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Haven't had the problem but I would start with testing continuity at the sensors and levels - the obvious stuff.

If that doesn't reveal anything investigate the common abs controller issue. I don't know if that has similar symptoms - just throwing it out there.

98RedExp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If it is intermittent, its a wheel sensor.

Hugh Jass

Reaction score
Does your OBD scanner read ABS codes, not all do?

Anyway, when my ABS light went ON I purchased an Inova 3160 OBD/ABS scanner that pointed me to the rear ABS sensor. I replaced the sensor and it fixed the problem.
Nowadays, there are less expensive OBD scanners that will read ABS codes (Inova 3030g?) but I do not have any experience with them.

My '99 Expedition (5.4 AWD) also has a momentary "hesitation" during rolling stops. My avg MPG is usually in the 11s, sometimes 12s. Why do you think a bad VSS could be causing yours? (I'm still diagnosing the cause of mine, but there are no OBD "codes")

OP
OP
T

tcwaltz

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Does your OBD scanner read ABS codes, not all do?

Anyway, when my ABS light went ON I purchased an Inova 3160 OBD/ABS scanner that pointed me to the rear ABS sensor. I replaced the sensor and it fixed the problem.
Nowadays, there are less expensive OBD scanners that will read ABS codes (Inova 3030g?) but I do not have any experience with them.

My '99 Expedition (5.4 AWD) also has a momentary "hesitation" during rolling stops. My avg MPG is usually in the 11s, sometimes 12s. Why do you think a bad VSS could be causing yours? (I'm still diagnosing the cause of mine, but there are no OBD "codes")

Mine doesn't pull abs codes. Looking to buy a windows Bluetooth package that also works with Android and does do ABS and air bag codes.

I had read in a few other places of people replacing the rear sensor that also had the hesitation and it resolved it. Not sure exactly how the rear sensor is working since I'm not sure how it would apply the abs. The hesitation started with the ABS light issues so I'm trying to figure out if there is some correlation between the VSS and that rear sensor and disengagement of the transmission or if its affecting shift points.

Just read a few things that other people have posted on other forums and trying to see if anyone else has experienced it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thegerb50