AC Drain Tube

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sam Odajima

Reaction score
I have an 04 expedition 4.6L. I have a wet passenger floor board. I dont have a sun roof. I cant find/see the ac drain tube. Does anyone have pictures and some instructions on clearing. I did a search on the forum and I have seen posts that explain it but pictures are no longer available.

Plati

Reaction score
I cant tell if this is an Expo or a pickup … but gotta be pretty much the same?

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yeah, I don't know why the pictures have disappeared from the original post. But in the end you'll have to put an elbow on the drain tube nipple to fix the flow back problem that soaks the carpet.

rPBSqk.jpg

You can get it from the dealer, or Tasca Parts online.

The elbow goes on the drain nipple like this ....

MPMNWI.jpg

Pry this plastic shield off that covers the nipple, you won't need it anymore ...

bVYm3W.jpg

Only tool needed really is a long screw driver from Home Cheapo .....

Tof49x.jpg

Boil the elbow in water for about 15 minutes to soften in up just before you stick it on the drain nipple. When it cools it will tighten up on the nipple and never come off.

If you just want to clean out the blower box and drain you can drill a hole to spray some cleaner in there and then flush it out with a utility sprayer wand with minimal mess. Use a rubber plug or a piece of black duct tape to cover the hole when you're done.
On the Gen2 Expy's the real fix is the elbow installation. ( At highway speeds, the under hood air pressure causes back flowing of the condensation drain and the drain water flows back around the outlet nipple and into the firewall insulation and carpet....)

iGzR5i.jpg

The evaporator is located on the far left side of the box. The drain hole is in line with the hole drilled here in the box.

Last edited:

Flexpedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thats a pipe cleaner, similar to something you'd find in a gun cleaning kit.
You probably could use the dipstick or a metal clothes hanger, but I'd probably prefer something with bristles.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thats a pipe cleaner, similar to something you'd find in a gun cleaning kit.
You probably could use the dipstick or a metal clothes hanger, but I'd probably prefer something with bristles.

I have used the non-clasp end of a heavy duty plastic zip-tie to clean a/c evaporator drains.

A dipstick or metal clothes hanger can have a sharp end, and you run the risk of puncturing the evaporator core (which is aluminum).