AC dye

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

buddy71

Reaction score
Not sure if this is the right place but my 2005 expedition AC was recently serviced and the dealer was supposed to put dye in the system to check for leaks then recharge the system. That was three days ago, and today we found puddles of a luminescent yellow/green on the ground. Is that the color of the dye they use for the test? The dealer is closed till monday and we need the vehicle tomorrow so if i can get a reply soon i'll know if it's safe to drive it.
Thanks

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yep, that is it. Shouldn't be on the ground though, you have a good sized leak to puddle up like that. Where is the puddle in relation to the front of the engine? Safe to drive but the A/C won't work for long or at all. The system has safe guards so you won't make things worse by running it. The low pressure switch will cut power to the compressor when the system pressure drops to a certain point.

OP
OP
B

buddy71

Reaction score
It appears to be around the starter but can't pinpoint exactly where.
Thanks, that's what i thought since there really wasn't any familiar odor either.

buildingdoc

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The dye is most likely leaking out with condensation from the evaporator under the dash via a drain tube. You most likely have a leaking evap. I would change the expansion valve at the same time. parts arent to expensive... Its the labor.