AC issues help please

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MCPGA

Reaction score
I am having air-conditioning problems, I’ve had my system checked twice by 2 different shops. It appears I have a leak somewhere but neither shop could find it. While looking myself I felt cool air coming out around the TXV valve (I think it’s called) at the fire wall. I replaced the valve including all new o-rings everywhere and don’t see any leaks using soapy water. I have also had some issues with a blend door actuator and it is starting to click some again. It does seem to me that the air-conditioning system is trying to cool, but there is some hot air mixing in somehow. Can anyone shed some light on what I should look at next? See picture of where I feel air coming out.

Attachments

• A4D39A38-E631-439F-9126-528B6973F436.jpeg
    A4D39A38-E631-439F-9126-528B6973F436.jpeg
    149.2 KB · Views: 19

JamaicaJoe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
How did you replace that valve and o'rings without entirely servicing the system, reclaim freon, evacuate, refresh freon etc.?

OP
OP
M

MCPGA

Reaction score
I had a mechanic friend fully service the system when parts were installed

JamaicaJoe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You should check for leaks with UV dye and a freon tester. Just because you feel some cool air does not mean there is a leak.

OP
OP
M

MCPGA

Reaction score
Thanks I will try that. I didn’t realize I could do that myself. Do you have any idea why cool air would be coming out around the hole where the TXV valve is?

JimR_TN

Reaction score
I have also had some issues with a blend door actuator and it is starting to click some again. It does seem to me that the air-conditioning system is trying to cool, but there is some hot air mixing in somehow. Can anyone shed some light on what I should look at next?

Are you sure the blend door is working? If it is the temperature blend door it switches from cool to heat so even if your AC system is working you may never feel it if it is still allowing hot air to the vents.

OP
OP
M

MCPGA

Reaction score
I am not sure it’s working properly. I replaced the actuator behind the radio about a year ago with a part from O’Reillys and recalibrated it but now it is starting to click again and yes it does feel like some hot air is getting in. Other than replacing it again with a motorcraft part I’m not sure what else to do. Suggestions?

JimR_TN

Reaction score
Confirm the clicking is the temperature blend door and if so replace it. Also make sure the blend door isn’t hanging. This is fairly inexpensive and not that difficult to eliminate this as a possible issue.

I just used a Dorman actuator from Amazon.

OP
OP
M

MCPGA

Reaction score
Thank you! How do I determine if the blend door is hanging up?

JamaicaJoe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The cool air could easily be air conditioned air from the evaporator box , not freon. Do you have a rear AC unit? Is it working? Maybe the blend door.