AC plumbing Drawing for 2001 Expedition

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Petesexpy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I pulled the silver tape off and replaced with all black (my Expy is black) self-adhesive textured tape. Looks a LOT better.

OP
OP
JamaicaJoe

JamaicaJoe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It's too humid today to finish painting so I can take more pictures.
Thanks. I want to hang some relays to boost the headlight voltage by direct connection to the battery post and think there might be a spot somewhere. It is pretty busy on passenger side with horns.

OP
OP
JamaicaJoe

JamaicaJoe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Attaching the grille is a piece of cake; removing it is 16 chances to break off a plastic tab. I used a heat gun to soften it up a little. Painting is also a pita because you have to hit it from so many different angles.

Yeah but it will look much better in black.

OP
OP
JamaicaJoe

JamaicaJoe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I pulled the silver tape off and replaced with all black (my Expy is black) self-adhesive textured tape. Looks a LOT better.
Did you have to use heat to remove the tape? I tried pulling some and it seemed to be pretty well adhered and what came off, tore in such small pieces, The other option is removing the entire molding. I don't want to end up needing extra body work if that molding is glued on too well or has alignment holes.

jr1under

Reaction score
Looks great. Was much prep required on the surface of those honeycombs?
No, at least not compared to the effort it took to repaint it. I lightly sanded a few spots that were flaking, then sprayed it all down with wax and tar remover. After wiping that off and letting it dry, sprayed a couple of coats of plastic adhesion promoter front and back.

I chose DupliColor Trim & Bumper #TB101 Black based mainly on the fact that I already had a full can on the shelf. The directions say "...apply 2-3 light coats, allowing surface to dry 10 minutes between coats." but there should have been an asterisk that said, "*If you're changing the color of a Gen1 Expedition grille, apply 20-30 light coats..."

jr1under

Reaction score
Saw that you recently got a Gen3. How would you describe the differences between it and your Gen1? I have a Gen11 F150, equivalent to a Gen2 Exp, and the user interface was still plastic dials and buttons. Wondering how far the UI evolved next version.