Adding BLIS

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

powerboatr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
well the blis module for the side is in the rear quarter panel area, and ARE not attached the skin, they are attached to the frame structure,
mirrors only have the icon flashy light thing

star-art

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Wow dude. You're awesome. Love guys like you that have so much knowledge to lend.

Well I really want to add this to my truck as well. :) It should be doable as it's been done before with F150s and the setup is almost identical. I don't think adding the hardware will be a problem. More likely, it will be getting FORScan to work making changes in the code in whatever modules need modifying to get it active and working.

For example, there's a fantastic thread where a fellow is adding a heated steering wheel (something else I want to do that's even more complicated than adding BLIS). The challenge for that project was the fact FORScan wasn't programmed to even look for the Heated Steering Wheel module because it was never available as an option. But, low and behold, he managed to talk the FORScan developers into adding that capability to the program. So, now it can be done!

well the blis module for the side is in the rear quarter panel area, and ARE not attached the skin, they are attached to the frame structure,
mirrors only have the icon flashy light thing

Yeah we need to see some pics of how and where the SOD modules are installed. I found pics of 2015 and 2016 modules that show a big difference between left and right (likely for the brackets and not the modules themselves). Tasca shows only one part for 2017 and that resembles the left module for 2015/16. Also, the 2017 part # is ridiculously expensive (almost $1000 list) while other part #s for similar modules on other vehicles are less than $200 each.

2015 BLIS SOD Module LEFT.jpg

2015 BLIS SOD Module RIGHT.jpg

OP
OP
mdntblu

mdntblu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I guess I am old, not really a fan of these Safety Nannies..

This seems like a lot of effort to go through, for a problem that is already addressed with the Old School Mirrors included with most cars. Correctly Adjusted, they work pretty well for me..

https://www.caranddriver.com/features/how-to-adjust-your-mirrors-to-avoid-blind-spots

Techies and geeks like technology or as you call them safety nannies. I've been driving for a long time and have never had these types of things but as cars get more smart and more technology we just love it.

OP
OP
mdntblu

mdntblu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What about this? Aftermarket BLIS with cross traffic alert.
Looks interesting. They don't have it for Expedition though. But It does say universal so maybe they only make specific brackets for Escape, Fusion and Transit and the universal ones work for others.
I still think I'm going to figure out if my Limited Expedition already has the brackets or harness already there and just add it myself if I can.

fdgibbons

Reaction score
I just had one installed on my 17 Limited. I am a little disappointed in it. It detects vehicles only in your blind spot, not cross traffic in the rear. The warning lights were mounted in the dash and you get a beep if there is a car in your blind spot if the turn signal is on. You get the beep if a vehicle is next to you on either side. I don't think is was worth the $500 to have it installed.

Bigbadbull

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The main reason I got a 2016 KR instead of a Limited, is that none of the used limiteds I found from 2015-2017 had BLIS. It was a "requirement" from the Wife.
We had it on our 2016 Explorer, but don't on my 2012 F150. She said with how big the Expy is she did not feel comfortable driving one with out it.

Its very helpful with all the crazies on the highway around here and the Cross traffic is nice as well.
I know it uses the rear bumper sensors, and I assumed it used the front bumper sensors in the same way. Did not realize there was another sensor in the rear 1/4 panel.

coolzzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The scary thing about the blind spot system is that it still reccomended you visually check before changing lanes. What's the point of that? At least with the built in blindspot mirrors you can trust what you see (I still turn and look regardless). I tell my wife if you see anything in that little blindspot mirror, it's in your blindspot and don't change lanes. Now cross traffic alert I can see being useful, like when backing out of a parking space.

OP
OP
mdntblu

mdntblu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The main reason I got a 2016 KR instead of a Limited, is that none of the used limiteds I found from 2015-2017 had BLIS. It was a "requirement" from the Wife.
We had it on our 2016 Explorer, but don't on my 2012 F150. She said with how big the Expy is she did not feel comfortable driving one with out it.

Its very helpful with all the crazies on the highway around here and the Cross traffic is nice as well.
I know it uses the rear bumper sensors, and I assumed it used the front bumper sensors in the same way. Did not realize there was another sensor in the rear 1/4 panel.

Blind spot systems do not use the little circle dots on the bumpers. Those are only for detecting objects when going forward or reverse at slow speeds.