Adding Factory Navigation GPS 2003

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pfairfull

Reaction score
GPS radio swap

Here are the pics you requested, I hope you can shine some light on this for me and thanks for the quick response.

Attachments

• Front of New.jpg
    Front of New.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 354
  • New Radio.jpg
    New Radio.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 336
  • Front of Old Radio.jpg
    Front of Old Radio.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 304
  • Old Radio.jpg
    Old Radio.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 305

pfairfull

Reaction score
The connections on my old radio seem to be the same as the ones on the newer radio that you installed. I was hoping to have a direct bolt in with no cosmetic mods required.

corvettej

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yes, you have a 03 late model expedition that will accept the new model navigation system starting in 06 on up, the navigation radio you have in the first two pictures uses navigation CD's instead of DVD's you will need a bunch of CD's, the 06 and up from an Explorer or Mountaineer or 07 Expedition and up uses only one navigation DVD.

jimb726

Reaction score
Yes, you have a 03 late model expedition that will accept the new model navigation system starting in 06 on up, the navigation radio you have in the first two pictures uses navigation CD's instead of DVD's you will need a bunch of CD's, the 06 and up from an Explorer or Mountaineer or 07 Expedition and up uses only one navigation DVD.

So when you say that 07 and newer, do you mean all the way to 2011? The 07-11 look pretty drastically different. Great article by the way. I have an 06 EB that I bought used with the Avic D3 and I cannot keep the steering wheel controls working so I am looking to switch back to the OEM version. Also, I read that with the older Nav unit, there was no way to use the Sirius and the RSES at the same time, is that issue corrected with these newer unit? Finally, where did you send the unit for reprogramming? Sorry for all the questions.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

corvettej

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You must use the mounting bracket from your old radio and attach it to the same location on the new radio there are no holes there so you must be creative.

corvettej

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The 07-11 with navigation didn't look much different than the I have. The ones without navigation is a different ballpark because the dash panel and the radio is different, now on the 10-11 the difference on the steering wheel is that the steering wheel has a phone button on it indicating Sync and Bluetooth. I was looking at them yesterday, mostly the F-150 crew cabs.

jimb726

Reaction score
The 07-11 with navigation didn't look much different than the I have. The ones without navigation is a different ballpark because the dash panel and the radio is different, now on the 10-11 the difference on the steering wheel is that the steering wheel has a phone button on it indicating Sync and Bluetooth. I was looking at them yesterday, mostly the F-150 crew cabs.

Since I posted the question, I actually bought the identical unit (by part number) that you showed. I got the antenna and disk as well. I guess what I am trying to figure out is what exactly i need to hook up the factory Sirius and was also wondering who you sent your radio to. I checked here in Cleveland and there doesnt seem to be anyone who does it (reprogramming). I have an 06 EB with the rear DVD and I am hoping that I can add the Sirius to it. I know that I need the tuner and the antenna, and I have seen a harness that can be bought from the dealer, but everything I see regarding the harness indicates that you cannot have factory Sirius and Factory RSES. Would you happen to know if its possible? Thanks in advance.

corvettej

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I don't have rear entertainment in mine but my radio is programmed for it. I got a guy out in Dallas, TX (Denton) named Will at H&H DISTRIBUTORS , he does the programming.

corvettej

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Like I said earlier I don't have rear entertainment on this one in the console my kids would always change the stations so I got one without it but I do have overhead DVD (Ford) and my Sirus works fine.