Advice for Buying Used Expedition for 25 Foot Airstream (7300 pounds fully loaded)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chesterfield, VA (that's south of Richmond, y'all)
You will usually run out of cargo capacity before you run out of towing capacity. My 2017 Expedition has a CCC of about 1400 pounds which includes passengers, cargo, and the trailer tounge weight as well as 100 pounds or so for the WDH. Seems every Expedition has a different CCC so checking the sticker is vital.

HD tow is mandatory if you want to pull more than a 6000 pound boat trailer.

7300 pound trailer will have a minimum of 730 pounds on the ball so call that 830 counting your DWH. The remaining capacity can be used for cargo and passengers.

The Expedition engine and transmission are more than capable for this.

-- Chuck

Denny M

Reaction score
I have a2019 airstream 25 ft rear bed. And a2018 expedition xlt. Heavy duty towing. 4x2. 3.73 rear end. Towing capacity is 9300 lbs. Husky centerline hitch. Tows great. Look for the rear backup assist and trailer brake adjustment to the right OSS steering wheel.

Polo08816

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You will usually run out of cargo capacity before you run out of towing capacity. My 2017 Expedition has a CCC of about 1400 pounds which includes passengers, cargo, and the trailer tounge weight as well as 100 pounds or so for the WDH. Seems every Expedition has a different CCC so checking the sticker is vital.

HD tow is mandatory if you want to pull more than a 6000 pound boat trailer.

7300 pound trailer will have a minimum of 730 pounds on the ball so call that 830 counting your DWH. The remaining capacity can be used for cargo and passengers.

The Expedition engine and transmission are more than capable for this.

-- Chuck

A common fallacy is to think that tongue weight (for bumper towing) is a 1:1 equivalent to payload capacity.

The tongue weight for bumper towing applies a lever action on the rear axle so while your tongue weight may be 500lbs, the force applied to the rear axle would actually be greater. The lever action does not exist (or is minimal for GM HD pickups) when towing a 5th wheel or goose neck trailer because the pin weight is generally placed right over the rear axle.

This is part of the reason why the maximum tongue weight for a tow vehicle will usually be less than the available rear axle weight capacity (rear axle weight rating - rear axle weight).

The only way to know for sure is to weight the tow vehicle and trailer at a certified scale.

apex96

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That may apply
Look for a 7-pin connector to confirm the HD Tow Package. To get the max towing rating you will need a weight distributing hitch, too.
to the third gen expeditions but the 4th gen’s come standard with the 7-way regardless if they have HD tow package or not. On a 4th gen 2018+ model the 7-way is not a way to tell on if it has the HD tow package.

KC7HP

Reaction score
I am having a hard time confirming that the car has a "heavy duty tow package" online. Is this absolutely essential to get the 9200 pound rating or can the car be customized after buying?
I had the same mission last year. Many listings claimed "tow package", mostly base towing capacity with 7-pin plug included. Not the HD towing package. Two things helped pick out the real deai:
a) Photo of dash showing brake controller left of center console instead of small coin holder
b) Monroney sticker listing 3.73 ratio (ELSD preferred) rear axle
Rare to find HD tow from ex-lease / rental fleet vehicles, but they did come up.

haviland

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Confirming what has been said:

you absolutely need the HD towing for your weight

your max weight REQUIRES a weight distributing hitch

The boat I tow is near 8,000 lbs and it's fine.

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
"heavy duty tow package" online. Is this absolutely essential?
Essential and only retrofitted with a lot of trouble and expense.

Download the Ford Towing Guide for your model year (they tend to be different depending on year). The items included in the HD Tow package are listed on a table in the guide.

Things like 3.73 axles, larger transmission oil cooler, trailer brake controller are common. Swapping axles is probably not a real option but the larger oil cooler and brake controller are comparatively easy. Again don't assume these items are common across all model years: my 2007 HD Tow included 3.73 axles but my 2017 did not and both are HD Tow. Same for the 7-pole rear electrical connector which used to only be on the HD Tow trucks but is now standard in some (most?). The towing guide will have the list.

You can also download the Build Sheet for your VIN (I bet Loki can send you a link) which includes 3 or 4 pages of information like these excerpts from mine:

•With Heavy Duty Trailer Towing
•Less Rear Axle Limited Slip Diff
•Heavy Duty Aux Trans Oil Cooler

-- Chuck

Last edited:

Tyra

Reaction score
I have a 2022 SSP with max tow package (reg lenght) and pull a 28 foot trailer tongue to tail. I know mine has max tongue weight of 920#. That is with the stock tongue weight listed on the trailer from the factory plus anything that is added to the front end of the trailer after putting your personal items in it. Don’t go by what the sticker on the trailer says, it will be more once you add items to the trailer. I bought a tongue wt scale so I know for sure what the # is so I don’t go over my payload. You want 10 - 15% of the trailer weight on the tongue for stable towing.

timo482

Reaction score
having done all this.. and mostly failed.. you MUST have the 3:73 gear set.. the expedition can have 3:31 and still stay HD towing.. well having gotten that, it TOTALY SUCKS i changed to using my f150 even though its not nearly as cushy as the ex but it has 3:73 gears.. with the 3:31 it jumps to 3rd on the slightest grade or puff of wind with a 5500 pound travel trailer.. so to be clear must have HD tow package and must have 3:73.. the part that caught me unaware was that some years, and on some models. the HD tow package and the 3:73 are two check boxes that it clearly says in the tiny print on the bottom of the ford towing guide have to be ordered together and dealers dont because 3:31 will be better gas milage. the other issue with final drive gearing vs transmission gear is that wherever the torque multiplication is is where the heat will be generated. the rear end can handle that for 250000 miles.. transmissions do not. im going to have to sell off the really nice ex specifically due to the huge cost of changing the gearing vs just using the paid for f150 with tow package and 3:73 already in it. handling and towing was not a issue - i have a reese straight line with a friction sway as well and it was just fine. not being able to change the gearing for a reasonable number is the killer for us.

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The only reason I even own an Expedition is to tow my camper but after 15 years I wouldn't want to give it up even if I didn't have the trailer.

6,000, maybe 7,000, pound 23' hybrid travel trailer behind 2017 XLT 3.5EB + 3.31 axles + HD tow working fine the past 6 years for me. No limited slip differentials either. Better or at least less dramatic tow than my former 2007 V8 with 3.73 LS and HD Tow.

But I'm only towing half a dozen weekends every year and nothing more daunting than the mountains in VA and PA plus maybe into New England.

Not sure how well this rig will handle 9,300 pounds.

YMMV.

-- Chuck