Advice on Exhaust Mani Replacement?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SPreston2001

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hey fellow Expy drivers, my 97 Expy has developed a pass side exhaust leak and after further inspection I saw that one of the studs broke off on the manifold. The manis look bad so I figure im just gonna replace them both to save myself time later on down the road. Any advice on what I should expect or any tips that may save me some time? From looking at it, looks like the easiest way to reach em is to remove the front wheels and take off the splash guards. Ive changed mani's on chevy sb but never on a Ford, am I in for a nightmare? What size sockets and other tools I may need? Thanks in advance.

Tom Nugler

Reaction score
Mines got a small leak too. Same side. I'll be waiting until after the camping season.
Checked procedure in Alldata and they show lifting the engine for access. This may be to to incorporate TSB 05-5-4 which calls for replacing the studs and nuts with stainless steel ones. I thinks there's a link to TSBs somewhere on this Forum but can't seem to find it right now.
The last two Ford manifolds I've done were on the older 351s and I went through the fender wells. Downpipe studs like to break off though.