Aftermarket Heated Seat Install- Rostra

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kmh1596

Full Access Members
Reaction score
When I bought the interior from the 05 King Ranch to transplant into my truck, I was assured by the recycling yard that they were heated. Unfortunately, upon arrival, I found that they were not heated. While I was cleaning and conditioning, I decided to install Rostra aftermarket seat heaters. Due to the left bolster of the drivers seat showing a bit of compression, I swapped the seat bottoms between the two during the install.

I realize now that I did not take enough pictures of the wiring or switches, but the Rostra kit I bought (#250-1802) only required to run power and ground. Due to my truck being an Eddie Bauer, I could not install the switches in the factory location, as the openings were too large (I needed a 20mm hole for the new switches). Luckily, the interior I bought came with a clean center console. So that I could install a wood dash kit if I choose, I installed the switches in the same spot as the factory ones would have been, as dash kits usually have cutouts around the Eddie Bauer heat/cool seat switches.

I found 12v+ (key on) power from one of the wires on each power seat. That circuit is fused, and I also kept the fuseholder in place that came with each kit.

Note that these seat pads were trimmable lengthwise. The only other modification needed was to cut a divot out of the seat foam to accomodate the bulge from the thermostat.

The caveat here is that I don't believe it would be as easy (or possible?) to install these into an Eddie Bauer with heated/cooled seats, due to the perforated leather, and air ducts in the seat. However, any XLT or FX4 leather or cloth *should* accept them?

Here are some pictures. I'll be happy to answer anything I can. Sorry again for the small amount of detail pics.

Image2.jpg

Image3.jpg

Image4.jpg

Image5.jpg

Image6.jpg

Image7.jpg

Image8.jpg

Image9.jpg

Image10.jpg

Image11.jpg

Switch Location
Image12.jpg

OP
OP
K

kmh1596

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Once you look at how the leather attaches to the frame (plastic clips/tracks in my case), they come off pretty easy. The bottom was super easy, removing the seat back leather was kind of like removing a soaking wet shirt, lol.. not too bad, though.

Reinstalling the seatback leather was easy, except getting the plastic tracking that forms the "lip" between the seatback and bottom, under the metal bars. Otherwise, the leather is tightly wrapped around spring loaded bars, which could result in a rip, and gap between seat back and bottom.

Big White

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I cut a channel for the front velcro on the seat, and let the heater go all the way to the front. Works great.

OP
OP
K

kmh1596

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I cut a channel for the front velcro on the seat, and let the heater go all the way to the front. Works great.

Interesting... I had considered doing that, but I'm wondering if the cushion and/or sections of the seat for the King Ranch are different? In looking at the instructions, I could not leave enough of the heater intact, and still have what I felt was enough of the velcro attaching to the seat itself, in that center section. The directions also said it could not be folded or put into a divot, which I figured would be the case once the seat skin velcro was being forced into the channel. I wasn't willing to take the chance, although I agree that having that front panel heated would be awesome! :flamingdevil: Do you have pics of your install?

Big White

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Not an issue at all, you cut about 3/4" channel to leave the velcro area open. The heater does not get folded into the channel then. No other pics though.

OP
OP
K

kmh1596

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Not an issue at all, you cut about 3/4" channel to leave the velcro area open. The heater does not get folded into the channel then. No other pics though.

What I meant was that I would have had to cut it all the way across... as the "center listing" was the full width of the heater. Anything I would have left connected would have been in the way of the velcro channel.

Big White

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What I meant was that I would have had to cut it all the way across... as the "center listing" was the full width of the heater. Anything I would have left connected would have been in the way of the velcro channel.

I left the minimum on the side of the heater panel, and the cover looks fine.

Maybe the cloth seats are more accommodating? Here are the only pics I have of mine...
http://www.expeditionforum.com/f39/installed-seat-heaters-17776/

Last edited:
OP
OP
K

kmh1596

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Nice write-up, and install. I hadn't seen that, but I had only looked in the interior section..

cushion looks the same... I swapped mine from left to right, so that the partially compressed bolsters were facing the console, and not noticeable when sitting in the seat.