Air to coil conversion stupid question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Petrini

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ok I have a really stupid question here and its gonna be really easy for someone I'm sure. I want to do the air suspension to coil spring conversion with 3" spacers and I see a few kits that include shocks, but several that dont. Do you need to do the springs AND shocks? Or is that just something you CAN do?

DR3W

Full Access Members
Reaction score
No quetion is a stupid quetion! haha If the entire coil length with the new spacer is equal to the length of the old air spring lengh. Then your good to go. But if the new coil & spacer length is taller (or shorter) you will need to replace the shocks with taller/shorter ones to compensate for the different height. :) Hope this helped. Good luck.

2000 xlt 4x2
4.6L 170k miles

OP
OP
Petrini

Petrini

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just realized I have air up front too. Bummer. My next question is, does ANYBODY make a spacer for the rear air bags? It would seem so much simpler.

DR3W

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Umm Daystar should. Idk, gunna have to search the web or go to your local parts store :)

OP
OP
Petrini

Petrini

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Has anyone used the Fabtech 3" rear air bag spacer kit (part# FTS 97159-3) on a 4x4? Its listed as for 2 wheel drive, but I am told that everything is the same other than the aior bag height. Does anybody know if there is any reason it WOULDNT work? I am about to buy one and try it, but if somebody else has had issues it would be nice to know first. Thanks!

http://www.fabtechmotorsports.com/pdfs/instructions/Fabtech-install_FT97159-3i.pdf