Airbag deploy = totaled?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

iamhollyb

Reaction score
I got t-boned last night (in the dark, in the rain...thankfully across the street from the fire station). The driver side door won't open and there is a gap at the top. I had to climb over the console to get out and into the car last night.

All of the side airbags deployed, but not the steering wheel one. Should I count on getting another Expy? Mine is a 2013 with almost exactly 45,000 miles on it. Turned over 45k yesterday.

Thankfully, my 12-year-old and I are both fine. She was pretty shook up and very upset last night, and my neck is a bit sore but fine otherwise. I told her the truck did what it's supposed to...protected us. And even called 911!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DUNE RCR

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My question is if the frame is bent. If side airbags deployed they may end up totaling it. I'm not familiar with newer expeditions... Are you air bags in the seat sides or in the overhead? Either way it's going to cost a lot of money to repair. Most of the time they have to get either new skins for the seats or a new headliner, air bags, modules etc.glad to hear everyone is ok.

k9education

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm not exactly sure what your question is. What it costs to repair depends on what precisely was damaged. Whether or not the insurance company chooses to total depends in part on their guidelines for repair vs replacement. Some insurance companies will repair rather than replace if there is virtually any savings to be had by repairing it, whereas others will total if the damage exceeds a certain percentage of the value of the vehicle. I believe my insurance company, for example, totals out if the damage exceeds 70-75% of the vehicle's value. If the damage is borderline for replacement and you want the vehicle replaced rather than repaired, you can usually help facilitate that by nitpicking the damage. e.g. Maybe there's a crease in the headliner due to airbag deployment that they were going to leave alone and you want it to be flawless as it was prior to the accident and thus want it replaced.

OP
OP
I

iamhollyb

Reaction score
Thanks, Dune and k9...the airbags came out from the top of the car along where the headliner meets the door frames. Guess I'll know better come Monday.

OP
OP
I

iamhollyb

Reaction score
So yah. It's a total loss. I'm on my second week of owning a 2014 EL King Ranch Edition. I'm in love.