Another engine noise question (with video clip)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Greg Lee

Reaction score
OK, so you're all probably tired of hearing from me by now but i have another concern that just came up. If you have followed my last post you will know that i just replaced the VCT solenoids and the knocking has completely stopped--truck is running smooth, no stalling, no tapping sound while driving--however, there is one engine noise that i am still hearing. I actually hadn't heard it since the repair until tonight when i pulled into my driveway. BTW i have 06 expy 120k miles. My driveway is at a slope so i have to give some gas to make it to the top, and as i was about halfway up i was nearly at a stop so i gave just a little bit of gas, and the engine made kind of a rough rattle sound. As i parked, i popped the hood and gave the engine a few short revs and i heard the same noise (i wanna say its kinda like a rattle, but i'll post a video here so you can hear it yourself.) Let me first say that i don't hear any sort of knocking or any bad noise at idle whatsoever--all sounds fine while driving as well--seems like this noise just happens at very low RPMs from a stop. OK so i'm going to post a video so you can hear. This is the same clip i recorded from my previous post because it is the same sound, except i have changed the solenoids since this clip so a lot of the engine noise in the background is no longer there. Just listen at when i rev the engine--it doesn't sound very clean to me but i'm no mechanic. Got any ideas? Appreciated.

OP
OP
G

Greg Lee

Reaction score
Ok thanks. I think I'll take it into the shop on Wednesday and see what they say. Anyone else ever experience this noise before?

Jb14

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sounds like my truck which is the cam phaser locking pin. The ticking sound you hear is the locking pin that is in the unlocked potion when at idle (the hole the pin goes through gets a bit out of round) When you initially step on the accelerator the pin is not locked once you increase speed (low speed) the pin locks then the ticking goes away

OP
OP
G

Greg Lee

Reaction score
Well I took it into the mechanic today who said it just sounds like the cam phaser actuator. I'm not too sure what he was talking about but he told me it shouldn't be anything to worry about--hope he's right about that. He also mentioned trying a heavier oil like 5w30 or 10w30 on next oil change.

Jb14

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Check out this vid a little long but if you forward to 240 minutes in video it will explain why you have the tick. There are many other videos describing this as well

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edyk1986