Another possible phaser question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Quasar

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ok, so I realize that there are about a million Phaser knock threads on here. I've read a bunch but nothing that has been said quite fits part of the symptoms I seem to be having and I want to be sure I don't have a secondary problem to the Phaser knock.

My issue is this, Its on my 2009 Expedition with 105K miles, Once my truck is hot, and idling, I will hear the ticking noise that sounds just like every Phaser knock youtube video out there. Mine is very intermittent though at this point and If I put in park and give it some gas it will usually quiet itself down completely for awhile. Sometimes though, I will get the tick/knock sound and it will start to run like total crap, almost sounds diesel like but again, put it in park and it will smooth right out. I also tend to notice black soot on the tailpipe and mileage is pretty much constantly at 12. doesn't fluctuate on highway driving vs city at all. I have no check engine light or pending codes that I can find.

Am I just catching the phaser issue at a very very early stage and it will continue getting worse? Or, is there a secondary issue at work here.

Thanks

Tom

docraymund

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Might be an early sign of phaser malfunction. If you have a scan tool that measures fuel trim, try hooking it up and see if you can chance on the intermittent episode you noticed. Most likely fuel trims on one bank may be higher during that time. Other secondary causes would be a loose chain link or tensioner, improper oil viscosity, and a low flow oil filter.

OP
OP
Q

Quasar

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thank you Doc!!

I do have a pretty decent scan tool. Once the weather breaks in next couple days (If you call the upper 20's low 30's a break LOL) I will hook up scan tool and drive around awhile.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zack

Reaction score
Mine does the same thing mine is a 2010 with 112k miles and it has been doing that only from a stop under slow acceleration while the trucks at operational temp .. But I just put bigger tires on it and it's a lot worst and the truck misfires until i put it in neutral and rev it .. It's wierd

OP
OP
Q

Quasar

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Mine does the same thing mine is a 2010 with 112k miles and it has been doing that only from a stop under slow acceleration while the trucks at operational temp .. But I just put bigger tires on it and it's a lot worst and the truck misfires until i put it in neutral and rev it .. It's wierd

Have you done plugs and COP boots yet. Your issue sounds like mine prior to me doing the tune up. After i have no misfires when accelerating only the noise at base idle and the occasional roughness give it any gas and it smoothes right out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk