Anti theft issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mh68

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm having a random issue with my 2011 expy. It won't start and the anti theft light flashes. It will take several tries but then will start. I was traveling home from it out of state and it did it while I was gassing up. Finally started on the 9th try. It will power up but not start. I also have a viper remote start system that I had installed 6 yrs ago and it will randomly do the same thing when I try to remote start it if it's been locked to activate the factory alarm, the horn will start honking because of the anti theft. It only started doing this about a month ago. Any ideas?

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm having a random issue with my 2011 expy. It won't start and the anti theft light flashes. It will take several tries but then will start. I was traveling home from it out of state and it did it while I was gassing up. Finally started on the 9th try. It will power up but not start. I also have a viper remote start system that I had installed 6 yrs ago and it will randomly do the same thing when I try to remote start it if it's been locked to activate the factory alarm, the horn will start honking because of the anti theft. It only started doing this about a month ago. Any ideas?

I’d bet there is a problem with the aftermarket Viper remote start system.

You may also have a defective battery and/or loose or corroded battery terminal connectors or battery posts.

OP
OP
M

mh68

Reaction score
I’d bet there is a problem with the aftermarket Viper remote start system.

You may also have a defective battery and/or loose or corroded battery terminal connectors or battery posts.
I just had the viper system reset because after the dealer pulled my dash to replace the pain in the a** blend door actuator, the viper remote start wouldn't work. I took it where I had it installed and they reset it. My battery is less than a year old and the terminals aren't corroded or loose. It just did it to me again, took about 10 tries to get it to start. It powers up and you can hear a click when trying to start, and the anti theft light flashes.

OP
OP
M

mh68

Reaction score
Ok, here's another update. Today after I got home from work, I opened my door to listen to what I thought was a noise my engine was making. The vehicle died, my info center displayed all dashes then started scrolling through all the faults, low fuel, tank is full, low air pressure, service advance trac, showed the wrench, battery icon, low oil pressure, high engine temp, etc, and the whole time my anti theft light is flashing. While I was trying to take a video of it, my mileage came back up and I was able to start it. I'm at a loss, anyone else experience this?

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
Have you done as 99WhiteC5Coupe suggested and checked your battery voltage and wiring connections? This is sounding more like what he suspects. Low voltage is great for causing this sort of thing. It can really drive you nuts with the electronics.

OP
OP
M

mh68

Reaction score
Have you done as 99WhiteC5Coupe suggested and checked your battery voltage and wiring connections? This is sounding more like what he suspects. Low voltage is great for causing this sort of thing. It can really drive you nuts with the electronics.

Yep, battery is a year old, had it tested and the alternator just to be sure, no corrosion on wires, all grounds appear good, all connections tight

Boostedbus

Full Access Members
Reaction score
How about the starter solenoid connection? Has the starter ever been replaced? It may be an internal problem in the starter solenoid loosing contact until it heats up from numerous start attempts. It may be a stretch but it’s something to consider. You could take the starter off and bench test it with a battery and jumper cables.

OP
OP
M

mh68

Reaction score
So here's another update. I went through the grounds and they looked good but cleaned anyway, swapped the pcm and fuel pump relays, switched fuses, no help. I also had my viper remote start removed, no help. Still had communication issues causing the engine to shut off, dashes for the mileage and all the errors scrolling on the info screen due to a canbus network issue. Took it to the dealership, checked the codes and the first was low voltage so they checked the battery said it needed replaced. Ok, replaced it, still have the issue. Took it back, now they have determined its the gauge cluster which is obsolete so I'm stuck with a used one. I bought one on ebay with 80,000 miles on the odometer, about 50,000 less miles than mine. My question is has anyone had any luck reprogramming the odo and what did you use? I'm very picky with my vehicle and I want it to show my actual mileage. Sorry for the long post.

Yupster Dog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
now they have determined its the gauge cluster which is obsolete so I'm stuck with a used one.
There are companies that you can send your cluster in and they fix it and send it back.(probably cheaper than ebay one) Just look up "instrument cluster repair"