Anybody Run Different PSI than on the Door?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Expedition Dave

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I am running same tire load rating Nittos--albeit 34s compared to the factory 32s.
And lately--just lately--I have kept the front 1 psi higher than the rears. Not even sure why lol I guess it is cuz the front tires run a little flatter (lower) than the rears all the time due to engine weight. I do not think this is a problem for the AWD system if activated.

Now, if the rears are loaded, I tend to add some more PSI to the rears to help handle the weight.

I had one tire guru on another forum lose his mind over that but this was on full-time 4wd (AWD) Toyotas.

I just wondered if anyone else here did anything different?

keny01998

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have 20 inches tire on my 2019 XLT 4WD and I run 38 psi cold. When I put 40 psi cold and the truck bounced a lot especially in the rear end.

DWs-TTEB

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Running 40PSI (all 4) cold on E rated, LT285/65R18x9 General Grabber ATX tires

Last edited:

Fozzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
40 PSI for a smoother ride. 45 PSI towing. In my Nitto’s G2’s. I always keep all 4 the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grey ghost

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ford recommends the lower pressure for a smoother ride for crybabies. They also wear out quicker.
A couple extra pounds won't hurt

FlyBry

Full Access Members
Reaction score
41 front, to reduce the feathering on the outside edge, 39 rear

ROBERT BONNER

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm sure different tire/vehicle combinations may be different; but, I pyro check my tires to get a feel for how new vehicle tire combinations perform. I benchmark empty vehicle performance with tire pressures set cold at placard recommendations front and rear. Generally, the front and rear tires' temperatures will rise the same amount at any given ambient during normal operation. Then I check heavily loaded. I gradually over inflate rears relative to placard when heavily loading the vehicle and attempt to achieve the same temperature rise in the rear as the front.

What I've learned over time is that if you inflate the rears of a loaded vehicle to mimic the "radial bulge" of the front tires you will end up managing the the temperature increase pretty well, with the caveat that you don't increase the cold pressure above the amount listed on the tire sidewall. Handling/performance/wear seems to be comparable front to rear when I do this.

For my '20 Max FX4 with 18" tires this ends up raising the rears between 38 psi and 41 psi cold when loaded depending on how much load/tongue weight I have.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chris7990