Anyone have the projector lights?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Usually, the headlights assemblies will have the harnesses to split up the 9007/8 plug into whatever the light uses.

Granted, if you go from 9007 to a housing that is dual beam, and you get an HID kit, you'll have to do some wiring, since I think the MFS shuts off the low beams when you go to high beams.

I must say, the lights linked aren't horrible. I, too, am not a huge fan of the extra lighting. One of these days, I wanna do a bi-xenon retrofit (FX-R or TL projector).

locosol96

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm going to try and take a pic of the truck today so you can see them.

The high beam is the same as factory. The headlights come complete with all bulbs needed. As the turn/parking light section is clear, they even come with a 3357 Amber bulb.

There is no harness conversion needed. The factory Expy headlamp assemblies are "plug and play". The power harness on the back of the aftermarket ones are the same as factory. These literally are plug and play. The bulb for the low beam is an H3 halogen. I got an H3 6000K HID to replace it. The whole thing, including running the wires for ballast (plus I added a relay and resistor to power the lights directly from the battery) took 2 hours. If all you're doing is swapping out the factory headlights for these without doing an HID conversion, then it would take 30 minutes or less.

I don't know what a picture of the light cutoff would do. It's totally subjective anyway. I can tell you I live in a rural area (farm country on MD's Eastern Shore). I leave at 4:00am for work. It's dark. Even with the standard light output (before I added the HID a few days later) I was happy with these. Like I said, I had to aim them up slightly, but that was to be expected. I seriously doubt the hardworking Tawaiinese folks who made these have an Expy that they test the aim out on every set they build. So, I figured a little adjustment would be needed. Overall, quality is decent, fit and finish are pretty good (same lines/gaps as the factory ones) and I liked that these were true "plug and play". I really like that they are a flat black finish. I think once I get my tan trim and upper/lower grills painted black, these will really add to that look I want.

I've built custom projector assemblies for other cars before (all three Hondas, a VW, and my Dodge truck). Are these as good as the set I made with the S2000 projector lenses and the Phillips HID kit? No. But then again, that kit wound up costing me about $375-$450 (when you figure in my time and labor).

You can get a pair of Expy headlamp assemblies cheap and the actual process of converting them is not hard, just time consuming as you have to be very careful. I'm fairly **** and would have preferred to do that. I just don't have the time. Besides, this truck has 120,000 on it and will most likely be replaced in the next 18 months or so with a new Expy EL Limited. I'm going to wait to do a top-notch projector re-fit on that.

Now, if anyone lives reasonably close by and wants to bring their truck over for an HID re-fit or add power folding mirrors to your 03-06 Expy, we can talk!

OP
OP
F

FordRacing1

Full Access Members
Reaction score
keep in mind i do have the 2000 model and not the newer body. but i cant bring myself to spend $900 on a retrofit. It isnt worth it to me. I want to be able to see better but not that much better. As long as i can buy a projector and strap a hid kit in it an it look decent i am happy. im not asking for cream of the crop. just decent. something better than the milky headlight assembly that i currently have

locosol96

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Here's my Expy with the lights.

I don't know anything about the first Gen body style. I've heard that F-150 lights are a swap out, but I have no first hand experience.

$900 for projectors is ridiculous.

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 139

2blackfordrides

Full Access Members
Reaction score
keep in mind i do have the 2000 model and not the newer body. but i cant bring myself to spend $900 on a retrofit. It isnt worth it to me. I want to be able to see better but not that much better. As long as i can buy a projector and strap a hid kit in it an it look decent i am happy. im not asking for cream of the crop. just decent. something better than the milky headlight assembly that i currently have

the projectors i have are off ebay also..... i love them.... and ive had them on my 99 xlt for almost three years, havent even replaced a bulb and its the same style as ur 2000..... no fogging, no leaks, no nothing..... i agree with above comments..... buy off ebay if u need economical and u will have extra xash and be happy.... i have people flash their hi beams at me everytime i drive mine with the low beams..... the high beams easily double if not triple ur visibility......

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have you aimed your lights? Shouldn't have people flashing you all the time...

OP
OP
F

FordRacing1

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I guess what im really wondering is, when you put the HIDs in the projectors or even leaving the stock halogen in. Is the light scattered all over the road or does it pretty much do what a projector is supposed to do and have a decent cut off and light up the road. I drive down dirt roads alot at night just to drive and I run the risk of slaughtering a small animal if I dont have good light output and I dont have to tell anyone that the stock headlights suck big time. Could someone maybe take a picture at night of the road with them on? either HID or not. with the ebay projectors of course. I would really appreciate it

2blackfordrides

Full Access Members
Reaction score
my lights are aimed all the way down but the truck sits high...... and i will try to take a pic on the road soon..... i drive in upstate ny in the stix to my folks house and its pretty much all dirt roads.... the light does what a projector should.... also they sell a projector fog kit for around 70 bux i think that imma buy next week ( and the hid kit to match them)... i would imagine that would help ur cause too..... i will do my best to get a pic this weekend....

OP
OP
F

FordRacing1

Full Access Members
Reaction score
my lights are aimed all the way down but the truck sits high...... and i will try to take a pic on the road soon..... i drive in upstate ny in the stix to my folks house and its pretty much all dirt roads.... the light does what a projector should.... also they sell a projector fog kit for around 70 bux i think that imma buy next week ( and the hid kit to match them)... i would imagine that would help ur cause too..... i will do my best to get a pic this weekend....

Thanks bro I appreciate your help