Anyone have the projector lights?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

joezek

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I bought an HID retrofit kit one time on ebay for like $40. They looked awesome for about 10 seconds, then as soon as they're warmed up they flicker like a candle. You get insane headaches trying to focus and drive at night with both lights flickering non stop. I tried all the nonsense kits to rewire and give more direct power from the battery to the HID ballast etc, I even tried using capacitors to stop the flickering, but NOTHING helped at all. Apparently a lot of cheaply made ballasts will do that, they flicker after warm up because of a poorly designed power supply.

locosol96

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That's the problem with the cheap kits. They are inferior and many times, you get what you pay for. I got mine from HIDonlinestore.com. True plug and play with no flicker, strobe or "waiver" (as some call it). I've bought kits from 5 different places for different cars, and I have been happiest with these guys. Just my $.02.

NC-Expy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
my .02 is I dont care for projectors... bad light output... but if you haven't seen them yet look for the R8 style lights for expys/F150s... I've had mine in for a few months now with HIDs and no problems at all.... somewere I posted a thread about "R8 lights in" shows some good pics of mine... again my .02.. everyone has their opinion....

are those R8 lights plug and play?

OP
OP
F

FordRacing1

Full Access Members
Reaction score
yeah screw ebay hid kits. the lights are ok to buy but most every pair of HID kits ive bought have been junk. DDM tuning supposedly has some good ones. havent bought any though. im more worried about the way the projectors work with the hid than the Hid kit itself. I want to know if the projectors put out good light

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i have spyder halo/led projectors...havent drove at night yet so i dont know about the light output...put from what i see just playing with them...same as stock...so please post pics of the HIDs with projectors so i can see how they look and switch mine.

as far as DDM...WHOISMOOTOO and someone else bought from them and all suggest buying the 35 watt HIDs from DDM and they love them...

walnuts4x4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
R8 lights plug and play....

and LOVE my 39.99 HIDs from ebay... both headlight and foglights...

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
they dont make the R8 for my year...has anyone turned their halo/led projector lights to HID? i looked at mine before i installed them and where you would insert the bulbs...they looked like they were wired/screwed...something...they were different...

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Some aftermarkets can't be converted to HID because the bulb won't fit in the projector housing.

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
well that sucks!!! so now the question is....do i waste $40 plus shipping to see if they can be converted or not....that dear forum...is the question