Anyone here ever relocated the reverse lights and put turn signals in their place?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
I

IMINYOURCHAIR

Full Access Members
Reaction score
upon further reading, the "device" that allows the brakes to be used also as turn signals is within the turn switch possibly. I don't know if the full current is passed through it or not though.

z168

Full Access Members
Reaction score
For the brake/turn lamp combo, abandon the harness and instead tap to the 3rd brake lamp - presto no more turn signal.

what will you use as reverse lamps?

OP
OP
I

IMINYOURCHAIR

Full Access Members
Reaction score
For the brake/turn lamp combo, abandon the harness and instead tap to the 3rd brake lamp - presto no more turn signal.

what will you use as reverse lamps?

the top mount brake light is unrelated to this really. It operates differently since it is only connected to the brake light output unlike the two side tails that each have their own separate feed when the turn signal is active.. If i did what you suggest, the newly created turn signal would still come on when I hit the brake and it could possibly overload the wiring for the top light. I just need to take the indicator function off of the rear bulb while still retaining brake/park for both tail lights..

Simply put, just jump the wire in the diagram above coming from the brake on/off to the wires going to the tail lights. then run a wire to where that switch used to go to the tails, to the "reverse" light socket and add in the new reverse lights as per the below paragraph

as far as reverse lights, I have two options, I can get some running lights and run a new 12v line and have the 12v from the old reverse light circuit trigger a relay to switch the new 12v feed or I can just get a set of lights that don't exceed the original current spec for the wire currently in place.

Ps, thanks for that suggestion, z168, you just made me walk myself through it and now I have it sorted.

Last edited:
OP
OP
I

IMINYOURCHAIR

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Here I have edited the diagram to show the new planned wire setup. red mark shows where I will cut a connection and the black shows where I will add wires.

D9nhvJ9.gif

Reaction score
Another option might be to get one of the modules that split the brake and turn signals for a trailer.

z168

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Here I have edited the diagram to show the new planned wire setup. red mark shows where I will cut a connection and the black shows where I will add wires.

D9nhvJ9.gif

Sorry for the lag - let me know how you get this done Im interested. Because I am not "electrically-inclined", if it was me I would:
1. abandon the tail light wiring, tap the brake from the 3rd brake lamp and use a relay (so as not to overload the harness).
2. For turn signals, I would tap from the front turn lamps and wire it all the way to the back.

I know its crude but it has the benefit of being able to reverse everything back to original without touching the factory modules and without severing the factory harness

OP
OP
I

IMINYOURCHAIR

Full Access Members
Reaction score
right now, it's more of a "eh, i can put it off" project, I have to get a heater core for the front and get two new coil packs. to finish this project I just need a set of lights to serve as reverse lights. I am still thinking of ideas. Right now though I want to add a relay to power two of these they are a sealed beam 61 watt high beam from a gm car. would be nice and bright for backing up in places I really can't see at night I just don't know how to start with a mount setup.

z168

Full Access Members
Reaction score
right now, it's more of a "eh, i can put it off" project, I have to get a heater core for the front and get two new coil packs. to finish this project I just need a set of lights to serve as reverse lights. I am still thinking of ideas. Right now though I want to add a relay to power two of these they are a sealed beam 61 watt high beam from a gm car. would be nice and bright for backing up in places I really can't see at night I just don't know how to start with a mount setup.

I hear ya. First things first, right?

Do you plan to mount it high up or down below your tow hook? Would be cool to mount the reverse (fog) lamps inside the cabin near the backglass and just make sure to point it downward. That way it looks clean nothing hanging outside