rear brake light and turn inop.... its not the bulb :-) help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

svostng01

Reaction score
Hello Everyone..... So I just bought an 01 to use as an extra vehicle. The left rear brake and left rear turn signal is inop. It's not the bulb or the socket. It's in the wiring but I don't know where to look

I checked the bulb and it's good but I replaced it anyway. The night time running light works no problem & the reverse light (separate bulb) also works but no Brake light and no left turn in the rear. The front left turn works. I ran a jumper wire from the front turn to the back and was able to get it to work so I know the bulb and socket both work. I then ran a jumper from the right rear brake to the left rear and was also able to get it to work. So in my mind I'm also thinking the ground wire must be good. Because the socket shares the turn, brake and night time running light I can't just use jumper wires to correct the problem. (I tried but when I turn the right turn signal on the left turn signal would come one too making it more like hazard lights. Again this is because the same wire that works the turn signal also works the brakes. ) Anyone else ever had this issue or know how to correct?

Retiredusps

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I think there is a connection under the bumper on the left side that splits for a trailer connection maybe look there or tap into trailer plug if possible. Also some have had problems with Dir switch only on one side of truck.Both brake and dir run thru the Dir switch

GZ123

Reaction score
I'm not sure if it's the same problem that you're having, but I had issues with my right signal not working. I realized that when I raised and lowered the steering wheel it would sometimes start working again. Maybe try that and see if you get it to work again. It ended up being a loose wire pin in the multi-function switch behind the steering wheel. I simply pressed the pin back in place and put some electrical tape over it to keep it there. This youtube video isn't really relevant in terms of what I did to fix my problem, but the wires shown are what you might want to take a look at:

Apollo02exp

Reaction score
Had a similar situation, it was caused by the multifunction wiring harness in the steering column. I bought a new harness for $14 and had to remove the old one and solder the new one in place. FYI leave as much slack as possible when installing the new one or else this will most likely occur again when using your tilt wheel.

Good luck!

98eb5.4

Full Access Members
Reaction score
common prob with tilt steering wheel if used back & forth alot in gen 1,

when i took the column cover off, i could visually see the problem wire

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PalosX