Anyone know how to get remote start, lock/unlock functionality in fordpass with the 2017 Expedition?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

zablalbaz

Reaction score
Hey All,

I just swapped my 2018 F150 XLT for a 2017 Expedition Ltd. I used to have a 2006 Expedition Ltd, but the engine died on me and I got the truck instead. Could not haul the family around in the truck, so I'm back in the expedition family again. :)

One of the features that I had with the 2018 truck though was the ability to remote start it and lock/unlock the doors with my phone and the fordpass application. Those options are missing from the fordpass app with my 2017 Expedition, and I would love to get them back if possible. I've updated the sync3 system from 2.0 to 3.4 and I was hoping (but not expecting) to get that functionality back. Alas, I can only locate my expedition in the app and review the service records. I can certainly live without the functionality. I have the remote keys and they an start the Expedition just fine. But I'm curious if anyone here has added that function to their Gen 3 Expedition and knows how to get it back in the fordpass app?

Thanks!

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Master reset Sync, delete vehicle from FordPass, then start the add process from Fordpass again, and it should run your through all the proper steps. If you never saw the remote access approval on the Sync screen you need to acknowledge, that is the hangup. You have to allow the location features on Sync for FordPass to work.

OP
OP
Z

zablalbaz

Reaction score
Master reset Sync, delete vehicle from FordPass, then start the add process from Fordpass again, and it should run your through all the proper steps. If you never saw the remote access approval on the Sync screen you need to acknowledge, that is the hangup. You have to allow the location features on Sync for FordPass to work.
Okay... So, the upgrade to sync3.4 DOES add back the missing options I need? It definitely was not there with the old version of Sync (2.0). I don't need to do any hardware upgrades? It's all dependent on the Sync version? My truck had Sync 3.0 when I bought it and fordpass had the options for remote start and lock/unlock. And they were still there after the upgrade to 3.4. If I understand you correctly, I should get those back if I do the Master reset on the Expedition, then remove/readd it to the fordpass app? Sorry for saying it all back to you. I just want to make sure before I blow away all the settings and configs I have on the header right now.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Okay... So, the upgrade to sync3.4 DOES add back the missing options I need? It definitely was not there with the old version of Sync (2.0). I don't need to do any hardware upgrades? It's all dependent on the Sync version? My truck had Sync 3.0 when I bought it and fordpass had the options for remote start and lock/unlock. And they were still there after the upgrade to 3.4. If I understand you correctly, I should get those back if I do the Master reset on the Expedition, then remove/readd it to the fordpass app? Sorry for saying it all back to you. I just want to make sure before I blow away all the settings and configs I have on the header right now.
If your settings were Forscan settings a reset of Sync will not wipe those. It wipes presets, previous associations, connected phones, and the such.

2.0 Should have Fordpass also. 1.0 in a 2017 will have Fordpass. Need above 2.3 to get CarPlay, and some other features.

The upgrade does not reset all settings that need to be reset. A master reset should clear previous associations.

If it does not work after this, it is a deeper problem. Try what I said first and we will go from there.

OP
OP
Z

zablalbaz

Reaction score
Hey Folks. Just wanted to update for anyone who reads this later looking for the same thing. I tried the master reset suggested earlier (thank you) and it did not resolve my issue.

In case it was not clear in my OP, my problem is that I DO have Fordpass connectivity but it is missing some features that I was expecting. I can add my 2017 expedition to fordpass, and I can get it's GPS coordinates and see it on the map. Which is Useful in case it is stolen I suppose. But there is no button in the Fordpass app to remote start the vehicle. That home page in the app is blank for my expedition. My 2018 F150 has a button on the homepage to start/stop the vehicle and lock/unlock it. I was wondering if that could be fixed with just a software and/or firmware update so I tried updating the expedition's sync3 software from 2.0 to 3.4. That didn't fix the issue so I went over to the cyanlabs site where I got my update from and asked them there.

They explained that my expedition does need a hardware upgrade for the missing functionality. Here is their explanation:

"The 17 Expedition was a CGEA 1.2 vehicle that had Sync 3. Because it has CGEA 1.2 the Ford Pass features will not work with it. You lack a TCU and the correct network for this it to work.

You can install a TCU but it will not give you these features because of the network. All you will get with a TCU is location tracking. Nothing else will work."

Since I can already track my vehicle's location, I'll assume I have a TCU per this explanation. But I'm not sure what is meant by the "correct network" or if it is installable or diy upgradeable. I will dig around some more, and see if I can find out if there is a module that can be replaced.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I could swear I used FordPass on the 2017? Anybody else with a 17 using FordPass?

Did you try the master reset and adding back to FordPass to start the registration?

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I could swear I used FordPass on the 2017? Anybody else with a 17 using FordPass?

Did you try the master reset and adding back to FordPass to start the registration?
Looks like I was mistaken!

Here is the website that lists what year it was added to each vehicle:

Man, it has been a while. I know we used the old Ford Cell Based add on module in the 2015. Worked great. Been a while, guess we moved that to the 2017, cause I know the wife used her phone to remote start the Expedition.

OP
OP
Z

zablalbaz

Reaction score
Looks like I was mistaken!

Here is the website that lists what year it was added to each vehicle:

Man, it has been a while. I know we used the old Ford Cell Based add on module in the 2015. Worked great. Been a while, guess we moved that to the 2017, cause I know the wife used her phone to remote start the Expedition.
Ah... but this sounds to me like all hope is not lost. You imply there is a hardware update that I can do here? Do you have links for hardware and instructions that I can use? I'm a computer hardware guy and muck around in laptop and desktop parts all the time. A little modem add-on doesn't scare me. :) I suspect this is more of a board replacement situation though?