anyone using limited slip on the front?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

98eb5.4

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Last edited:

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The reason for "not in the front" is that too much traction on the CV axles could cause them to break. The "no lockers in the front" is because you don't really have steering when the front is locked- but tons of off-road rigs use front air lockers. Limited slips don't stay locked long enough to screw up steering.

In my Explorer I run Eaton Truetracs front and rear. And the rear in my Explorer is also an 8.8. However, my front axle is a solid Dana30 out of a Jeep Cherokee. Me personally, I don't know if I'd run a limited slip or locker with CVs. Breaking one way out in the middle of nowhere could be a bad time.

I point my Explorer at just about anything and it climbs it. No air compressors to turn on, no air lines to break, no forgetting to turn it on. It's just traction when I need it. I don't even know when it's engaging- it just climbs.

My Expedition just has the factory limited slip. I don't use it quite the same as my Explorer so I don't think I'll upgrade it.

Last edited:
OP
OP

98eb5.4

Full Access Members
Reaction score
comments from the above link is
For the front, your only choice would be a selectable locker, like an ARB or e-locker.

interested in the 'why'?

folks at yukon so far say
If it is just a daily driver then you would not want to put it any traction device in the front. It will cause some steering feedback and resistance.

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
interested in the 'why'?

He's saying select-able because you want to be able to turn it off- tight turns on the street could cause it to engage and then you'd run into problems. There might also be some issue with how the front axle engages normally (with the vacuum solenoids and whatnot) but I can't really see how that would effect the diff.

But.....

folks at yukon so far say

I have a Truetrac in the front (and rear) of my Explorer. ZERO issues on the road. But this diff is like no other.

Lightnig

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Indeed, I still dream about an Eaton E-locker in the front.

Of course, I still havent got off my butt to install the Posi-lock I picked up this last winter... ;)

OP
OP

98eb5.4

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Last edited:
OP
OP

98eb5.4

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a Truetrac in the front (and rear) of my Explorer. ZERO issues on the road. But this diff is like no other.

i don't think there's a truetrack type for expy front?

don't imagine a tt for 8.8 28 spline rear'd work?

there's also the reverse rotation part