"Aspen" the 07 Expedition, our next Overland Travel vehicle.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does your '07 have Control Trac?

Control Trac is the name of the 4x4 system on Ford Expeditions from their initial release in 1997 to now... are you asking him if it has stability control/traction control (AdvanceTrac RSC)? It's standard on 05 and on I believe. I'd hope he has 4x4 with all that off-roading:driver:

Fords Control Trac 4x4 is a very underrated system. It uses a borgwarner transfer case to lock both front and rear driveshafts at 50/50 power and that distributes power evenly to the front and rear. The power then goes into front and rear differentials which send it out to the wheels. they are open diffs so if one loses traction it's going to spin even though both CV axles get equal torque. In an open diff system the most torque that can be applied to both wheels (front end or rear end) is determined by the wheel on that end with the least traction because when it spins that's all the one with traction is getting from the differential (not enough to get the tire with traction to turn). This is contrary to the belief all the power is going to the one with least traction (FALSE). All four wheels on this system do indeed receive the same amount of power at all times with open diffs.

None of that AWD fairy dust crap they ruined the explorer with... they give like 20 percent power to the rear give me a break... that's not getting you out of anything.... sorry for writing so much that you didn't ask about now reading this back to myself.

Locking differentials on vehicles where available actually allow torque to deviate between wheels on an axle which is contrary to popular belief as well. They make the wheels spin at the same rate no matter the conditions which means each wheel requires a different amount of torque (more on one with the traction). Where as with an open differential both sides receive what the lesser side receives (hence they receive equal power on all four). Where as with locking diffs all wheels receive unique power to get them to rotate at the same rate.

Last edited:

Hayes Riviere

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Damn thats a beautiful truck. I need that grille. What type of glue did you use to keep the Ford emblem on, and what was the glue attached to on the grille?

Sneaky Pete

Reaction score
Control Trac is the name of the 4x4 system on Ford Expeditions from their initial release in 1997 to now... are you asking him if it has stability control/traction control (AdvanceTrac RSC)? It's standard on 05 and on I believe. I'd hope he has 4x4 with all that off-roading:driver:

Fords Control Trac 4x4 is a very underrated system. It uses a borgwarner transfer case to lock both front and rear driveshafts at 50/50 power and that distributes power evenly to the front and rear. The power then goes into front and rear differentials which send it out to the wheels. they are open diffs so if one loses traction it's going to spin even though both CV axles get equal torque. In an open diff system the most torque that can be applied to both wheels (front end or rear end) is determined by the wheel on that end with the least traction because when it spins that's all the one with traction is getting from the differential (not enough to get the tire with traction to turn). This is contrary to the belief all the power is going to the one with least traction (FALSE). All four wheels on this system do indeed receive the same amount of power at all times with open diffs.

None of that AWD fairy dust crap they ruined the explorer with... they give like 20 percent power to the rear give me a break... that's not getting you out of anything.... sorry for writing so much that you didn't ask about now reading this back to myself.

Locking differentials on vehicles where available actually allow torque to deviate between wheels on an axle which is contrary to popular belief as well. They make the wheels spin at the same rate no matter the conditions which means each wheel requires a different amount of torque (more on one with the traction). Where as with an open differential both sides receive what the lesser side receives (hence they receive equal power on all four). Where as with locking diffs all wheels receive unique power to get them to rotate at the same rate.

So my 2016 XLT with 4WD has ControlTrac 4-Wheel (4WD) System? It is not an advanced "option" of 4WD? It is the only 4WD system? So if you have 4WD you have ControlTrac?
Sorry for my questions, I am a new Expedition owner and am looking to modify it and want to know what I have and what I can do with it. I already know I have the 3.31 rear with the non-limited slip, not sure how that will effect my off-road capabilities. I know it helps my MPG.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So my 2016 XLT with 4WD has ControlTrac 4-Wheel (4WD) System? It is not an advanced "option" of 4WD? It is the only 4WD system? So if you have 4WD you have ControlTrac?
Sorry for my questions, I am a new Expedition owner and am looking to modify it and want to know what I have and what I can do with it. I already know I have the 3.31 rear with the non-limited slip, not sure how that will effect my off-road capabilities. I know it helps my MPG.

Correct the 4x4 system on the expedition is control Trac so if an expedition is equipped with 4x4 it is the control trac 4x4 system.

KCAutosound

Reaction score
Update on the Adventure Driven Ford Expedition Build: Got our CBI Off Road bumpers installed on Aspen

I contacted CBI after seeing your youtube video about your bumper/tire carrier today. Seems you got yourself a one off build there. They weren't even interested in building another since they are so busy. Guess I'm going to have to steal some ideas off of it and build my own :)