Auto Wipers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sgt Darkness

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My 18 has auto wipers but seem to work like old school delay wipers. I thought they would come on when rain hits the windshield but I have found you actually have to manually turn the switch to one of the five difference delay positions before they will start, just like older delay wiper systems. Unless I’m missing something seems like they are not automatic. I may just be too old to figure it out.......

Rotorhead451

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Check your owner's manual to verify this. I believe you turn the wiper switch on to the very first setting, then leave it alone there.

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Correct. You can choose the option in the gauge cluster to have them operate as manual wipers or rain sensing. Then you select one of the five “sensitivity” levels on the stalk and just leave it there.

When I bought mine the sensor had come detached from the windshield behind the rear view mirror housing. So they had to be operated like regular wipers until I could take it in. Quick fix.

When you have the rain sensing option selected in the gauge cluster, they operate in the way you hoped/expected they would.

O5111

Reaction score
I have a love/hate relationship with that feature (on my f150). I love that I can just leave it on the first setting rain or shine and it jumps in as needed. But I hate it on those days when the moisture is such that the wipers leave a residue of water, usually at low speeds. Then the wipers switch into hyper mode and never give that water a chance to clear.

Plati

Reaction score
I actually like this feature on my 2014EL. Replaces the intermittent wipers feature. Its AUTO in the sense that it will increase speed in heavy rain and/or stop when not enough rain on windshield to make it worth it. That's assuming you have it in one of the multiple ON positions. Have to be careful not to leave it on when going into a car wash! Also, don't leave it on overnight if its going to snow/freeze or wiper will try to run at startup (but be frozen in place). I've never been able to get mine to operate "like normal wipers". Mine was busted when I bought vehicle and it cost me $325 at dealer to replace the sensor on the windshield.

jwas1

Reaction score
My 18 has auto wipers but seem to work like old school delay wipers. I thought they would come on when rain hits the windshield but I have found you actually have to manually turn the switch to one of the five difference delay positions before they will start, just like older delay wiper systems. Unless I’m missing something seems like they are not automatic. I may just be too old to figure it out.......
Auto wipers on my "18 Expe XLT work fine. Just set on first position and forget it.

Plati

Reaction score
Auto wipers on my "18 Expe XLT work fine. Just set on first position and forget it.
that method is great … if you never use a car wash or live in a winter climate:33:

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
They're annoying as hell when you don't realize you had them

Timing between wipes changes and you get that odd "something feels off" feeling and then you're sitting in the rain counting intervals between wipes and going "wth"