Aux Input to a Stock 2006 Expy Nav Unit w/o DVD (from previous forum)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thevalleyboy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So I said I was going to do it - and I did here are some photos and a how to.

So the basics are I wanted an AUX input for MP3 and DVD (netbook computer that sits on the middle console/armrest) so I decided I would find a way.

The basics are this - if you have rear seat audio control with either DVD or CD changer this should work - I have the CD changer and NAV so wiring might be different depending on model.

This is what I did...

I got a 4 pole double throw switch - which means basically that the 4 wires from the changer - Right +, Right -, Left + and Left - hooks up to the common 4 poles and then the AUX hooks to the one side of the ON/ON switch (R+, R-, L+, L-) and the CD changer hooks up to the other side.

So here are photos....

PICT0131.jpg
This is the start - remove the rubber bottom in the compartment infront of the cup holders - there is a 7mm bolt under it - remove it and gently remove the console piece, don't forget to unplug for the lighter/12V outlet

After that is removed - take out the 2 7mm bolts that hold down the cover to the CD changer under the bottom cover to the console
PICT0135.jpg

Next up remove that cover

PICT0136.jpg

Then I took our the CD Changer - another 2 phillips screws at the top

PICT0138-1.jpg

This is what you got now

PICT0132-1.jpg

The CD Changer plug

PICT0141-1.jpg

This is where I went to my wiring diagram to figure out exactly what each wire was... I can help for my 2006 with NAV but nothing else... so look up the diagrams specific for you year model it should work exactly the same. Your local library probably has access to wiring diagrams, or ask the board - lots of us have them too - I got 2006 years.... let me know

Testing the wires - sowing pins work great with aligator clips and a meter

PICT0145.jpg

OP
OP
T

thevalleyboy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Continued

Then the fun - the switch - count em - thats 12 required solder connections

PICT0144.jpg

So this basically I am going to wire the middle 4 poles to the stock stereo CD inputs wires - so the wires that the CD changer would have normally returned to the Nav Unit - the 1 side to the CD changer and the other to the AUX input 1/8" stereo (3.5mm) jack.

PICT0159.jpg

PICT0160.jpg

Mounting the switch

PICT0154.jpg

Mounting the Jack

http://i1000.photobucket.com/albums... Expedition Stereo Modifications/PICT0153.jpg
PICT0156.jpg
You can remove the cup holders by taking out 4 phillips screws for better access
PICT0157.jpg

Simple Right - just ensure you have some decent soildering skills and tools

All completed with a shot of the console open the switch and 1/8" jack visible

PICT0162.jpg

OP
OP
T

thevalleyboy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
This works PERFECT FYI - no static or anything the reason to use a 4 Pole Double Throw is to eleminate the possibility of a ground loop feed back. So all I have to say is this was a great project for $15 bucks and now I can plug in to the stock OEM stereo my MP3 player and my Netbook for DVD's and movie's - Yippee! This is awesome! One thing to consider buy yourself the best quality 1/8" female jack possible - I am not happy with the one I purchased however I cannot seem to find a higher quality one, but know they exist. I might install a 1/4" jack in the future and use a steel adapter to get down to the 1/8". It's fine however I notice the wire sometime needs to be wiggled to hit the contact of the jack I got just right. A high quality jack would have solved this.

walnuts4x4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
holy batman... that is one hell of a job.... i'm glad I had the old POS mach stereo which got removed for an aftermarket deck... don't think I would be skilled enough to do this...

thedean

Reaction score
Would you please send me the diagram, thevalleyboy? Thank you.