Auxiliary Reverse Light Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NC-Expy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So I got a set of 55W reverse lights that I'm going to be mounting on my trailer hitch... my question for you guys is: can I go ahead and tap into my existing wiring for my OEM reverse lights? (brown and pink I think it is?)

Or do I need to go ahead and have a separate relay for them?

In which case I'd probably just wire them straight to the battery and then wire them to a toggle switch up front.

Remo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That's too many amps to tap into the reverse wiring. You should definitely use a relay; and I'd recommend a 3-way relay and switch set up (on, off, switched-on). This is much safer, more reliable, and you'd probably find it more useful/convenient.

If you didn't buy the lights yet, and are set on keeping the wiring as simple as possible, get some LED aux lights--they will draw significantly less amps. Those you could probably just tap into the reverse wiring for power.

Hope that helps.

Remo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
One more thing, lol. If you have the tow package with the wiring harness, you could probably use that for power (rather than running all the way back to the battery). I'm not 100%, but that is worth investigating.

OP
OP
NC-Expy

NC-Expy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
One more thing, lol. If you have the tow package with the wiring harness, you could probably use that for power (rather than running all the way back to the battery). I'm not 100%, but that is worth investigating.

I do have the tow package with the wiring, so I could just splice into that? That would make my life a whole heck of a lot easier...

Remo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm sure someone around here can pull up a wiring schematic for you...I'm pretty sure you can use it, though.

panda24619

Full Access Members
Reaction score
how are they being mounted? why not mount them where i have mine?
and they are on a switch. its fun to see some idiot thats tail gating you and accidently hit the switch.
1007011118a.jpg
1007011119.jpg
1007011118b.jpg

edit: what the hell?! shaggy we have a problem. these are
and still they wont pop up. people just say im crazy!

OP
OP
NC-Expy

NC-Expy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
how are they being mounted? why not mount them where i have mine?
and they are on a switch. its fun to see some idiot thats tail gating you and accidently hit the switch.
1007011118a.jpg
1007011119.jpg
1007011118b.jpg

edit: what the hell?! shaggy we have a problem. these are
and still they wont pop up. people just say im crazy!

I'm bolting them on to my trailer hitch. They are real tiny lights and I'm not interested in putting these, or bigger ones on my roof rack so the hitch will be best for me.

panda24619

Full Access Members
Reaction score
what i would do is just tap into your trailer hitch lighting. thatll would best.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ccky