Back Spark Plugs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LVExpedition

Reaction score
Thinking about changing the plugs in my 98 XLT 4.6L. From what I hear changing the back Spark Plugs is super difficult to do. Any tips on how to get to it the quickest/least difficult way? It would be super appreciated. Thanks

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That engine isn't bad - it's the 5.4 that is the problem. I used two extensions for the back of the engine. Change plugs when the engine is cold - treat them like a lady and don't force them due to the lack of threads in the hole. I dab a little oil on the threads prior to installation. Make sure you torque them to specs - not by feel. The torque wrench is cheaper if you don't have one, than putting in the time-serts when a plug gets launched from over tightening.

Last edited:

FordandPolaris

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I second that. Working on my mom's 4.6L is much much easier than my 5.4L. The 4.6's have a lower deck height, so consequently there is more room between the heads and the hood. Makes life much easier way in the back. As Stamp said, just take them easy, and do not over tighten them.

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Heh, that's funny. It seems I'd read to tighten more than factory spec over at F150online. Also, to not put anything on the threads. Argument went that the plugs were backing out because they weren't tight enough on there.

Canadian Expy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Stupid plug design :nono:
You think an engineer would realize 3 threads would not be enough!!

Yes extensions lots of them and Patiences

Last edited: